Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How Do We Raise Well-Mannered Kids?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:32 PM
  • 62 Replies

From reality television to everyday life, our kids see rudeness being rewarded. Etiquette Expert and Life Coach Harriette Cole is here to teach us how we can reverse the process and raise kids who know how to mind their p's and q's! 

How Do We Raise Well-Mannered Kids?

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liveforever
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Lead by example!

You can tell your kids do this, dont do that a million times....but if you are telling them to be polite and youre far from it...they wont listen for very long.

matt_sara_mom
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

For my children they are rewarded for good manners and know it's expected. I don't reward bad manners and usually take away from them when they are blatantly rude. I am Mom not their best friend. I monitor what they are allowed to watch and if a show starts to get bad I will take it from the list of approved shows.  

We lead by example. Please and Thank You, Sir and Ma'am, hand shakes, holding doors it is all done. I am lucky that they are seeming to catch on very well. I have only once had eyes rolled at me and that was nipped in the bud fast.

Mother to Jared(1/11). Liam(12/12)

Follow me on Pintrest! Our Homeschool Journey Here

lulumomof2
by New Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I think its a cop out to blame tv, music or movies. Its lax parenting, IMO. While my kids have never watched honey boo boo they have watched shows where the kids are rude and many times disrespectful. My kids do have good manners, they say please, thank you, God bless you when someone sneezes, they hold doors open for others, and know if a lady (even their mom, lol) is standing and they are sitting that they should offer their seat (although that is not something I make them do). Of course they are teenagers (15 yrs and 13yrs) so they aren't perfect (which is good because neither am I,lol). When they break our house code of conduct they are grounded (which means no electronics what so ever). You parent by example as kids live what they see not what is said to them.

Dobermans are like Potato chips, nobody can have just one!

ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I also think keeping them around more adults (who are good examples) than other kids when they are young is really important.  I don't want my kids raised by other kids, KWIM?

Kaci
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Do not let them watch television shows like Here Comes Honey Boo Boo where kids are disrespectful and swear.
Sisteract
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this
BY EXAMPLE!
sukainah
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I am trying to raise my kids to have good manners.  If I see them saying something rude or interrupting, I tell them that is not okay.  But they are not quite getting it yet, such a phone manners and manners when their dad and I or other people are talking.  

Wish2Be
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:40 PM

I agree with Chuck. Learn by response....which goes hand in hand with my belief that parents need to nip it in the butt immediately ! 

I will not respond to hissy fits. I let him know that I will not tolerate it and he needs to act right to get what he wants and if he continues to have the fit I walk away. I will return and ask him if he is done and then we move on from there and I explain that a fit is not the way to resolve anything.

timon95
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:26 PM

teach them!  we need to teach our kids manners, we need to be parents to them and not friends. pay attention to what they watch and who they hang out with.

SarahSuzyQ
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Preach it sister! And the example is both in our interactions with our children, and with other people... They are always watching and listening, it seems!

Quoting liveforever:

Lead by example!

You can tell your kids do this, dont do that a million times....but if you are telling them to be polite and youre far from it...they wont listen for very long.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)