Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Did you drink during your pregnancy?

Posted by   + Show Post

Pregnant Woman Outraged After Bartender Refuses to Serve Her

posted by Mary Fischer 

red wineA mom-to-be in the U.K. is all bent out of shape because a bartender refused to serve her a glass of wine, you know -- because she happened to be wearing a big ol' baby bump as an accessory that evening.

Jane Hampson says she felt "outraged and embarrassed" after she and her partner stopped at a local bar after a walk. The bartender told her he could not serve her a small glass of red wine because he didn't want the act of serving a pregnant woman alcohol on his conscience.

She and her partner promptly left the place and went to another bar where she got her red wine fix without a problem -- but she's still pretty pissed.

And while I don't think it's a bad thing for a pregnant woman to have a glass of wine here and there -- I can't say that I blame the bartender for refusing to serve her. I mean, she's pregnant pregnant (she appears to be well into her third trimester). Everyone knows pregnant women and alcohol don't exactly go hand in hand, and this poor dude didn't want to feel like he was possibly responsible for doing harm to her unborn baby.

Personally, I did not drink at all during my pregnancy. Not one sip. I swear. A few years prior to that, I'd been out to dinner and seen a heavily pregnant woman drinking wine at the table next to me -- and something about it just didn't sit right with me. It just looked so ... awkward. I knew right then and there that I'd never take a drink once I was expecting a child.

But don't misunderstand me because I really don't have a problem with pregnant women who do choose to have a little vino. Still, they need to understand that not everyone is going to agree with it, and they need to expect the kind of reaction that Jane got from that bartender.

If you're preggo and you want to have a drink -- fine. But it might be a good idea to have it in the privacy of your own home if you aren't prepared for some folks to have an issue with it.

Did you drink during your pregnancy?

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Replies (21-30):
SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I didn't. From what I understand, most of the damage from drinking happens at the very beginning of pregnancy, before some women realize they're pregnant, and new research has shown that much of the original research was done on women who had made many other bad lifestyle choices, so much of what was blamed on alcohol could have been caused by other influences, including drugs...that being said, it never hurts to err on the side of caution and not drink.

Julie132
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:26 AM

No way.  And I didn't eat fish either.  But next time I would take Nordic Naturals pharm-grade pure fish oil for the DHA/EPA.

MistressMinerva
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Nope

craftybookworm
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:36 PM

No.

sara_7106
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 4:05 PM
No
chrissydan
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 4:54 PM
No not with #2 either
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la1118
by Laura on Oct. 1, 2013 at 11:06 PM

I had an occasional small glass of wine. 

celestegood
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 11:26 PM
I never did. Why risk it?

Quoting jen113000:

I did not drink while pregnant. Even though I turned 21 and was pregnant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 11:27 PM
I think its been shown that its safe, probably, in very very tiny amounts. I don't think you're bad for having had a little.

Quoting la1118:

I had an occasional small glass of wine. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 1:43 PM
My first i didn't know until i was 6 weeks along so i was drinking for that part. Then i might have had a few sips here and there.

My second pregnancy i had a few sips of drinks throughout. The alcohol was the only thing that helped with my migraines. I never had more than an ounce of a beer or mixed drink though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)