Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

My MIL cleaned our house while we were away

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies

My husband and I were on a 4-day mini vacation and asked his parents to cat-sit.  When we got home I discovered that his mom cleaned our kitchen and vacuumed.  This really annoyed me.  I can see cleaning your sons house if he was living by himself or was younger, but my husband and I have been married 2 years, living together for 5, and he is 3-years shy of being 30.  I feel this is very intrusive, an invasion of privacy, and disrespectful as if she's saying my cleaning skills are not good enough for her son. 

Is it just me? Or would this bother anyone else?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjimaging
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:49 PM
2 moms liked this
It wouldn't bother me. I hate cleaning so if someone else want to do it, have at it.
kaedrasgma
by New Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I would welcome it!  what's wrong with it?  I see it as a nice gesture.

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Sep. 30, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I would be a little irritated too, it's a major invasion of privacy.

Tigress22304
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:38 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd just smile and say thanks. She was trying to be helpful.

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:21 PM
Maybe while she was cat sitting she made a mess and just did extra cleaning. I know when my SIL cat sat for me she vacuumed and stuff because of cat litter and dry cat food.
mjimaging
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:40 PM
That very well could be. Our cats are so messy.

Quoting mamamedic69:

Maybe while she was cat sitting she made a mess and just did extra cleaning. I know when my SIL cat sat for me she vacuumed and stuff because of cat litter and dry cat food.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I would be shocked if my mother didn't clean my house when I was away. I left for two weeks for a funeral and came home to the house absolutely beautiful. It is just how she is. I don't get upset by it. My mil can't clean so that is a mute point there. 

LoriAnn87
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:02 PM

I wish mine would clean my house while i was away instead of always bitching saying my house is dirty and I don't do a good job cleaning.

SarahSuzyQ
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:23 PM

I can see why it bothered you; I would feel like it was a criticism of my house-keeping skills... But that doesn't mean it's what she intended. Maybe she was just trying to do something that would be genuinely helpful, along the lines of, "How great to come home to a clean house!"

At any rate, especially with in-laws, I find it better to assume the best intentions and let it all go.

graycalico
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Because of who my mil is it would bother me. If my good friend did it I would know her only agenda was to be helpful.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN