Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How do you make sure your kids are only seeing movies and TV shows appropriate to their ages?

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:51 PM
  • 56 Replies

With the internet making it possible for our kids to see all sorts of stuff we’d rather keep away, how can parents make sure their kids are only seeing movies and TV shows appropriate to their ages?

by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brownhoney21
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Parental Controls,

alexsmomaubrys2
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 1:47 PM

We very rarely censor what our kids watch. We explain what they are seeing to them and answer questions. Sheltering children is only going to make them naive, helping them learn how to choose the right shows/websites and why is much more effective. 

Firenygirl180
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:57 PM
My kids watch what we watch. I watch a lot of crime shows and DF watches Walking Dead and Sons of Anarchy and our kids watch with him. When they get a little older we will have some channels blocked just so we know they can't get to certain channels and they won't really be watching any TV with df or I knowing because we only have cable in the living room.
sara_7106
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 3:54 PM
My dd is only 3 so I just keep track of what she is watching
johnny4ever
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I keep pretty tight reins on what he is watching

johnny4ever
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I caught him watching Family Guy one time...bad show~

virginiamama71
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:58 PM

whatever I watch my son watches.

virginiamama71
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:59 PM

i do think they should change PG-13 to more advanced age. Most of the movies are not for that age.

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:38 PM

That's a good idea. My dh has parental settings on my dd's laptop and I get a weekly report sent to me listing what sites she's on, her searches - exactly what she typed in, so I do alot of monitoring.

craftybookworm
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:07 PM
We don't use parental controls. However, my teen knows what he shouldn't be watching and surprisingly uses great judgement.
My younger kids are monitored by me and DH
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)