Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

You're Wearing WHAT!

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 4:26 AM
  • 16 Replies

School dress codes: Miniskirt madness

School districts should focus more on educating students and less on enforcing seemingly arbitrary dress rules.

Hey kids, what are you going to wear to school today?

A miniskirt? How short? "Sagging" pants: Is that kosher? What about a do-rag? Fishnet tights? Or hoodies, tattoos, sweat pants, frayed jeans, an Afro puff or, if you're a boy, long locks? How about a breast-cancer-awareness bracelet featuring the word "boobies"?

(taken from LA times newspaper)

teen boy

Does your children's school have a dress code?  Do you agree with it?  What do you think of some of the fashion styles being put out for kids?

by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 4:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sara_7106
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM
My dd is only 3, so no dress code ate preschool, but I used to work at a middle school. We had requirements on short length, no exposed midriffs, no inappropriate sayings on clothing, no spikes on chains or clothing, and no spaghetti strap tanks. I thought they were reasonable rules but kids still tried to get away with things
brittany208
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

my kiddos arent in school yet. I havent never seen a dress code I didnt agree with though, erven when I was in school.

chattycassie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes. My yougest 2 wear uniforms. My oldest is in HS and they have a dress code. She has no issues following them.
graycalico
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Yes and I'm glad. She's in middle school. I wish there was a uniform. The rules are mostly common sense and are for modesty but some are geared for safety. They even started one where the girls have to wear long shirts that cover their butts if they wear leggings.   Leggings are not pants folks!  

othermom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Yes they do, but I refuse to let my kids wear the things they don't want at school anyways

craftybookworm
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Those are pretty much the rules at my son's middle school.  I think they're not allowed to wear any pants with holes above the knee, no yoga or pajama pants, and I think that's about it.

Quoting sara_7106:

My dd is only 3, so no dress code ate preschool, but I used to work at a middle school. We had requirements on short length, no exposed midriffs, no inappropriate sayings on clothing, no spikes on chains or clothing, and no spaghetti strap tanks. I thought they were reasonable rules but kids still tried to get away with things

craftybookworm
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I agree!!!!  I've seen some of my son's friends and wonder "why did your parents let you wear that?"

Quoting graycalico:

Yes and I'm glad. She's in middle school. I wish there was a uniform. The rules are mostly common sense and are for modesty but some are geared for safety. They even started one where the girls have to wear long shirts that cover their butts if they wear leggings.   Leggings are not pants folks!  

craftybookworm
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I don't either.  I had a hard time trying to find shorts for my daughter that I thought were the appropriate length.

Quoting othermom:

Yes they do, but I refuse to let my kids wear the things they don't want at school anyways

othermom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I agree. It is hard to find shorts that I think are appropriate lenght. I do get them some capries which are nice, but they want regular shorts too. I have trouble with dresses too being to short, but they always wear leggings or shorts under them

Quoting craftybookworm:

I don't either.  I had a hard time trying to find shorts for my daughter that I thought were the appropriate length.

Quoting othermom:

Firenygirl180
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 1:23 PM
My kids aren't in school yet. All i can remember from when i was in school was no spaghetti strap tanks. And in elementary school shorts had to be worn under skirts
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN