Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

School dress codes: Miniskirt madness

School districts should focus more on educating students and less on enforcing seemingly arbitrary dress rules.

Hey kids, what are you going to wear to school today?

A miniskirt? How short? "Sagging" pants: Is that kosher? What about a do-rag? Fishnet tights? Or hoodies, tattoos, sweat pants, frayed jeans, an Afro puff or, if you're a boy, long locks? How about a breast-cancer-awareness bracelet featuring the word "boobies"?

(taken from LA times newspaper)

teen boy

Does your children's school have a dress code?  Do you agree with it?  What do you think of some of the fashion styles being put out for kids?

by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 4:26 AM
Replies (11-16):
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Oct. 2, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I think a simple dress code is important in schools, but I think sometimes it's taken too far.  I think it's important for kids to be able to express themselves.

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:32 PM
My dd is homeschooled so the only dress code is what I say.
conweis
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Yes my two middle kids' school has a dress code and I have no problem following it. I wish they wore uniforms like I did in high school. 
I find some of the clothes people let their kids wear ridiculous but I try to bite my tongue. 
Pants should not hang off your butt.
A skirt shouldn't ride up your butt.
And shirts should not be portraying drugs, guns or profanity. 
These are schools not a club. 

craftybookworm
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I agree!

Quoting conweis:

Yes my two middle kids' school has a dress code and I have no problem following it. I wish they wore uniforms like I did in high school. 
I find some of the clothes people let their kids wear ridiculous but I try to bite my tongue. 
Pants should not hang off your butt.
A skirt shouldn't ride up your butt.
And shirts should not be portraying drugs, guns or profanity. 
These are schools not a club. 

earthangel1967
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 3:37 AM

Actually in one smalll town we moved to when  the kids were in middle school and high school they were extra extra conservative there and they didnt have to wear uniforms however I personally feel their dress code rules were over the top strict and was hard to even find clothes that fit them that are even remotely in style at all. In my opionion my kids never even tried to go to school dressed inappropriatedly yet the girls got sent home more than once, and my oldest daughter who is a straight a child who never gets in any trouble and certainly doesnt dress immodestly was so humiliated and upset from that and was already shy to begin  with that they made her feel so self conscious she came home crying in 11th grade and refused to go back. I called the principal and threw a fit and he drove to our house to apologize and asked her to please come back but she wouldn't. She ended up  going somewhere else. I dont blame her.

I agree with a certain  degree of boundaries on clothes so they arent offensive or slutty but I do think too many adults make mountains out of molehills and need to learn not to sweat the small stuff, if you have a kid who dresses "differently" for example but they are a good kid ... who cares how strangely they dress or do their hair if they are good people. sheesh

YVONNE

Numom61507
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 3:48 AM

In the younger grades, we have guidelines. They mostly pertain to footwear though. No flip flops or jellies. No open toe or heel. As far as clothes, nothing offensive whether in words or pictures. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)