Advertisement Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

My toddler always crys or pretends to when she wants something

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

My toddler always crys or pretends to when she wants something, what is the best approach to handling this?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aneela
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:22 PM

be calm with her and talk to her...ask her what she needs etc..

is she speaking ok or having speech issues?

sara_7106
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:25 PM
I always try to say use your words or how can you ask me nicely
Bob192
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Reward her with praise when she asks without crying.

chrissydan
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Agree with all suggestions above good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mnmo3bb
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:05 PM

use toddler-ease. Repeat back what she wants so she knows you are listening and then once she is calm, you can explain what is going on. Keep it short and simple. Teach her patience by having her wait, before giving her lunch or something when she is calm. Say, in one minute, or please wait, it's almost time.

Firenygirl180
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this
If my toddler whines or cries instead of asking for things he goes in the corner to calm down. This is usually because he will stand there and scream at me that he wants something and i ask him nicely to calm down and use his words and that doesn't work. Once he calms down in the corner he comes back and asks without whining. Sometimes just mentioning the corner gets him to stop and ask nicely
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Don't give her anything or any attention when she's crying.  Just tell her you'll talk when she's done crying and walk away.

craftybookworm
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:46 AM

That's usually how I handled my kids.  They usually got the picture after their first few attempts.

Quoting cabrandy03:

Don't give her anything or any attention when she's crying.  Just tell her you'll talk when she's done crying and walk away.

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Speak very quietly and calmly that she gets nothing by crying, when she's done, then come and ask nicely. Then walk away and ignore her till she stops.

babie113
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:40 PM
this shes not truly upset shes learnt this form of manipulation works well .

Quoting cabrandy03:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement