Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Moms Addicted to 'Candy Crush' Say It's Their 'Crack'

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:18 PM
  • 60 Replies
1 mom liked this

Moms Addicted to 'Candy Crush' Say It's Their 'Crack'

posted by Kiri Blakeley 

It was several months ago that I first realized that every single person on the subway staring obsessively into their small smartphone screens were doing one thing -- eyeing a bunch of bright multicolored icons. At the time, I had no idea what was going on. Was this some sort of coded language everyone in the world had deciphered except for me? Something that told them -- in bright dots of orange, yellow, and blue -- the secret to eternal life? I finally mentioned it to someone and she said, "Oh, it's Candy Crush." Candy what?! But Candy Crush is the hottest game app right now. So hot that people are completely addicted to it -- especially women. And that's not necessarily a good thing.

According to the Daily Mail, 700 million Candy Crush games are played on mobile devices every day -- and most of those players are women ages 25 to 55. Apparently the appeal is that it allows you to forget everything else for a short period of time because you must concentrate on the game 100 percent.

I'm sure the candy icons help too.

But there is a downside. Lucy Berkley, a 44-year-old Candy Crush addict, told the Daily Mail:

My back became strained because I'd been hunched for so long over my iPad. I couldn't help it, it was so addictive. I call it "crack candy" because I imagine giving up is like trying to break a crack habit.

Besides her physical health, Lucy says she also ignores housework, her boyfriend, and even her young son, in her Candy Crush mania. She actually admits:

My son Ben, who is at boarding school, can't understand my obsession. I've been known to meet him off a train and rather than give him a hug I've said: "Just a minute Ben, I’m just getting on to the next level!"

Well, that's just great. Her son is already off to boarding school, and the times he's home, mommy prefers to pay attention to some digital candy figures. Somebody might need therapy in the future!

Lucy also admits she spends about $300 a month on the game. Wow. That's money she could putting away for Ben's university education. Or anything! Another woman, 40-year-old Jenni Weaver, says she is so addicted that she's played for 12 hours straight, and has forgotten to pick up her 10-year-old from school because she was busy trying to make the next level.

Ahh, Candy Crush kids. We used to call them "latchkey kids"!

Hunching over your iPad or cellphone, eyes glazed, mind zoned out, for hours straight -- it doesn't take a genius to figure out this is going to negatively impact your physical health, your finances (at least those who pay for the premium games), and your relationships. You know, the ones with real people?

If you must play Candy Crush, at least keep it to a minimum. But I don't see why anyone "must" play anything!

Do you play Candy Crush?

by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chattycassie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM
2 moms liked this
I do play bur not like that. I would never spend money. I got stuck on level 65 and cant beat it so I dont really play anymore.
ablackdolphin
by Gold Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM

NO!! that is exactly the kind of game I'd be addicted to!!  I played clacks like mad in college and then tetris when I was supposed to be sleeping during tax season (worked crazy hours!)!

sara_7106
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Yes, but it has become less addicting
katvixenstar
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM

on facebook, i don't see the big appeal tho. my daughter plays it once in a while, but she's 8. we just like other games i guess lol..

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I have never played.

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I've never played and have no desire too. I'm not a online game person.

slw123
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM

i was addicted to it for a while.  Then it became too hard to pass some of the levels.  Obviously I'm not going to PAY money for advantages, so then I gave up on the whole mess.  But for a while I could barely put the game down.

proudmommy690
by Gold Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM
I uninstalled it.
Leelee1008
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Not anymore.. got bored of it.

Kaci
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 3:08 PM
Nope. I don't see the pull. Like farmville ( I think that's the name). I mean really? lol Just my opinion! ;) I had rather take a nap and recoup before time to fix dinner, lunch whatever.:)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN