Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

2 of 10 Things You Should Never Say to Your Kids

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 4:03 PM
  • 10 Replies

By Denise Schipani

2. "Are you sure you need that second cupcake?"

Yikes. You have good intentions—keeping your child fit and healthy—but you’re better off steering clear of any talk that might foster a negative body image, says McCready. If you’re worried about what your child eats at home, use actions, not words, such as stocking your kitchen with healthy foods rather than junk and emphasizing family physical activity like after-dinner walks. That way, if there are cupcakes at a party, your child’s fine to indulge. And walk the walk yourself; you mix your message if you tell your kid to keep his hands out of the cookie jar while you’re inhaling potato chips. Incidentally, the same goes for telling your child that he’s a “great” eater; try to avoid labels (he’s my picky child; she’s such an adventurous eater; this one needs to stay away from treats) because “you never want to turn food into a power issue,” says McCready. As best you can, keep food-related comments specific and positive: “Wow, I see you tried the squash soup!”

by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
slw123
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 4:59 PM
I tell them that for every junky food they eat, they will follow it with a fruit or veggie. They do it and it keeps us all happy.
Loopy3
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 5:03 PM

What??? Really, if my child ask for a secound cupcake, umm no... Simple as that, NO

why, cause I said so....

kellynh
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Simply no 

Kmakksmom
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:08 PM

True!

proudmommy690
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Tfs
timon95
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Exactly, just because I ask them if they need that 2nd cupcake does not mean that I am hinting at weight issues or anything. If I say no to them having another cupcake or if I say they don't need it, then it's because I know what else they have had to eat or not eat and whether or not that extra cupcake will upset their stomach.
Quoting Loopy3:

What??? Really, if my child ask for a secound cupcake, umm no... Simple as that, NO

why, cause I said so....

family car

Firenygirl180
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I don't think I'll need this.  Treats are rare and you get what we give you and that's it.

Sisteract
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Yikes

Charizma77
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Agree

graycalico
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:30 PM
I've almost said something similar now that my dd is in her teens. Everything is harder lately. Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)