Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How Do You Define Success?

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:45 AM
  • 51 Replies

We've all had those moments where we realize that our life hasn't worked out the way we dreamed, but does that mean we've failed, or could it mean we need to rethink our definition of success? Ericka Souter, Editor of The Stir, is here to share her thoughts. 

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessicasmom1
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Sorry for your loss Andrew and Chuck :-( 

I don't see it as success , measure it as accomplishments. I feel life does shift after children now I only hope she can life a happy life. 

matt_sara_mom
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I loved when she said her child not needing therapy. I define my success totally on how adjusted my children are. I never had those huge plans for myself. Staring at the big 3 0 the only thing I really wanted when I was younger was to be a high school teacher. I got something better, I get to teach my children all the grades and subjects, I get to be the one who is the reason behind that little light when something clicks. To me that is the best success I could ask for.

craftybookworm
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I define success by the level of happiness it brings me. 

momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I define it by how happy you are.Not by what you own or how much money you make

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:31 AM

When I was in high school and cllege, I planned to be a newspaer reporter, then a  writer for a food magazine. I wored for a newspaper, but then I had my first son, and realized I wanted t stay home with him. My husband later became disabled and it changed our whole lives. I had to become the breadwinner. We purchased a restaurant, and with his guidance it became a success, but I hated all the hours it tookme away from my family. I went back to school and becme a chef and then taught at Culiary school. I feel my greatest success though, is my sons, now grown and livng happy lives.

SarahSuzyQ
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I think success is balanced with contentment... Not settling, but at the same time striving for the best in whatever situation you have.

othermom
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

I think success is balanced with contentment... Not settling, but at the same time striving for the best in whatever situation you have.

so true

sukainah
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I agree with this, it's more measuring it as accomplishments.  Especially for the kids and that they are happy and have what they need as they grow up.  This is daily little accomplishments.

Quoting jessicasmom1:

Sorry for your loss Andrew and Chuck :-( 

I don't see it as success , measure it as accomplishments. I feel life does shift after children now I only hope she can life a happy life. 

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Success for me is that my sons are settled and happy.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:23 PM

If I raise well adjusted, well behaved, polite children and keep my husband happy year after year, that would be great success to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)