Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

What is the scariest thing you've ever done?

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 91 Replies

Many lifetimes ago, I did something that many folks would never do. Something that, when I say that I've done this, folks are shocked and more than most say, "There is no WAY you'd ever get me to do that! I'd be so scared!" They ask a ton of questions, about how it was to do this scary thing.

The thing in question: I did stand-up comedy. For some months, gave it a go here around clubs in NYC. Wrote my own jokes, invited folks to come and root me on, and got up there for five minutes and tried to make people laugh.

I was really, really, bad. No, I mean really bad. Sure, there were times that I had the audience roaring, but many nights, there were just small chuckles, a few bits of laughter. And still other times? Silence...except for the sound of people talking to the others at their tables and ordering another beer.

It was tough and humbling and, yeah, scary. But I did it. And even though I wasn't good at it and even though I no longer do it, I did it. Which, I have to say, feels pretty good to be able to say. I did something really, really scary. Repeatedly. Sometimes that is what we have to do and it is something I try to teach my kiddo. Granted, I draw a line at anything where she could get hurt, but I encourage her to try new things, new experiences even if they may seem a little scary.  

Now, what would I never do? What is the thing that folks say they've done that I react with a "There is no WAY you'd ever get me to do that! I'd be so scared!"? Skydiving!

What is the scariest thing you've ever done? Have you ever skydived? Would you do stand-up comedy? 

©iStockphoto.com/AnsonLu

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheJerseyGirl
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Getting my amnio for my youngest. I was so so afraid I would miscarry!

lillucky8
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:27 AM
Hmmm...im not sure...im not much of a thrill seeker
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:59 AM

I can't think of anything scary, I never skydived or did stand up.

mrswillie
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 8:18 AM
I spent the night in an old abandoned haunted prison.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalasmama2007
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I really can't think of anything.  I'm not much of a daredevil.

louannwilkins
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:17 AM

No daredevil here.  lol   :)

Bob192
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow!!  I guess you survived!!

Quoting mrswillie:

I spent the night in an old abandoned haunted prison.

Mom2jngnc
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:39 AM

FOr me: climbing to the top of the Ponce Inlet Lighthouse in FL. 

BrookieCookie1
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:42 AM
I had a large caliber semi automatic gun shoved in my face once by a crazed drunken crack dealer. If I remember correctly, it was pretty crappy
craftybookworm
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Leaving home at 18 totally naive and immature to join the Army.  Let's just say basic training was a shocker.

Also, going on my first paranormal investigation 2 years ago. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN