Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

American norms people from other countries find weird

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 9:24 AM
  • 55 Replies

I thought this was interesting...

Its long so Ill only post a couple, but you can see them all here.

1. orde216

Your toilets are too low down and the stalls have massive gaps around the door so that people can see in.
You can put a man on the moon but can’t design a setup whereby I can have a shit in comfortable privacy. Sort it out America.

15. greenandgold52

Pickles. Your hidden love for pickles. I have been in the states for like 8 years and you guys give a pickle with everything.

20. jamesnufc

I’m a non-American living in the US, here are a few things I have noticed:
-Eating salad before the main course…wtf
-Called the main course an ‘entree’
-Having a ridiculous amount of flags
-The number of shitty commercials on major cable channels, not to mention the number of shitty TV shows that somehow get constant airtime
-Tax not included in price in shops
-In some cities (not all) people give you strange looks if you walk around the city and don’t drive (saw this in Houston a lot)
-How poverty is so rife in nearly every major city

23. Source_Australian

How poor the taste of fruit and veg is. I spent 3 years and visited most of the states and never found them to taste right. I’ve had avocados in poor markets in Turkey that would make you moan. Tomatoes in rural Vietnam that would eat like an apple because they were perfect. For a 1st world country, the produce is worse than 2nd and 3rd world countries.

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liveforever
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I agree with the thing about public restrooms. I always thought it was weird that the cracks around the doors are as big as they are. 

proudmommy690
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Completely agree with the bathroom..I mean, come on I dont want people peaking when Im trying to use the bathroom!!!

Thanks for sharing
TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I totally agree with the bathroom stalls.  I love that in most of the places where I went in Europe they had toilet brushes in the stall so that people didn't leave a mess.  And apparently people used them, because the toilets were usually clean!

I did have to share this funny photo though...a roadside rest area stall somewhere in France.

sukainah
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:18 PM
LOL...yep, these things are strange to other countries. My husband is from Iraq so he finds a lot of strange things here.
slw123
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I so agree with these.

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Further to the frightful lack of flavour in most fruits and vegetables, the horrifying lack of variety (or fibre of any kind!) on the 7-16 page restaurant menus.

We call them 'chicken breasts 104 ways' menus, which seem to use chicken wings as 'variety meat' and the only other choice is almost always beef (1001 hamburger varieties all on the same mushy, very sweet yet flavourless bun!)

Have you heard of lamb? Veal? Goat? Bison? Buffalo? 

Doesn't fish exist? (if it's there, it's either 'white' --whatever that is-- or some anemic version of flavourless salmon)

Pork, anyone? Other than the ubiquitous bacon?

Could you make a vegetarian dish without cheese or eggs or milk or cream --or, more commonly, all four? 

Squash is a vegetable not only a pie ingredient.

Side salad: 2 pieces of iceberg lettuce, a slice of cucumber, a slice of light pink semi-translucent crunchy tomato (seriously, how do you DO that?), a slice of red onion and very likely some oil-soaked garlic-salted bread cubes that someone insists on calling, despite all the evidence present, 'croutons.' Pour on dressing that's sweeter than custard and yer dun.

Arg.

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:40 PM

And then there is the often beyond-excellent service, which somehow ends in talking to a zombie...

What's with replying to 'thank you' with 'yup' or 'uh-hunh'??!?

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:43 PM

My dh isn't American and he complains about tax not being included in the price of things, tipping, the huge amount of obese people, Walmart just kills him - I mean KILLS him lol.

slashteddy
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:49 PM
LMAO!
la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I couldn't agree more about the bathroom stalls, shitty TV and excessive amounts of commercials. I DVR everything. I can't stand commericals.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)