Advertisement Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Should the Honor Roll be banned in all schools so it won't upset some kids?

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM
  • 21 Replies

School Bans 'Honor Roll' So Kids With Bad Grades Don't Get Upset

posted by Michele Zipp 

school deskHaving a rewards system is something a lot of parents put in place to help kids learn. My friend and I were just speaking about potty training rewards and good behavior charts and how they really seem to work for some families. Once school starts, there is the honor roll, which seems like a great practice to get kids to strive for good grades. One school doesn't think so -- they ended their honor roll program for kids in grades 7 to 9 because they feared it was hurting the self-esteem of the students who don't make the cut.

I can't help but feel this is just another way we are babying our kids. Students should be honored for their academic achievements -- some set personal goals to make the honor roll each year and, perhaps without it, wouldn't work so hard. But this school in Calgary says the students who do get the awards don't really care about them, and since it's hurting the pride of the kids who don't, they banned honor roll.

This year is the first time my twins are in the public school system. While they are only in Pre-K, they do have monthly "Leaders" who are awarded a certificate. And while I do not consider myself a competition type parent, I will confess that I did wonder why my kids haven't been awarded Leader certificates yet. Are they good students? What are they not exhibiting leadership qualities? Are my kids acting out? I realized I need to save all those questions for parent/teacher conferences. I realized that my 4-year-olds don't really need a Leader certificate. Though I would proudly save it with all their art projects. I realized I was being a little ridiculous.

But is it helpful? St. Basil Elementary and Junior High School in Calgary axed their honor roll program, including their year-end ceremonies for their 250 students in grades 7 through 9. And even though the school letter that went out read, "Awards eventually lose their lustre to students who get them, while often hurting the self-esteem and pride of those who do not receive a certificate," there were many parents and students who are disappointed in this decision and felt these awards were incentives for students to get better grades. Education speaker Alfie Kohn doesn't like rewards when it comes to our kids and education. Some really believe that getting rid of grades is a good thing. We all can agree that our education system is flawed, but are the radical ways to change it going to help?

I'm just now wrapping my head around all of it. Wondering how my children will fare in school, learning their strengths and weaknesses, working with them to always remain positive and healthy in every way. But I can't help but feel rewards lead to scholarships, achievements that kids strive for. And that we can't protect them from failure, but we can teach them how to deal with not being the best at everything. Because that is life -- coping with disappointment will be something our kids need to know how to do now, and especially once they are adults. Perhaps instead of taking away honor rolls, we reward kids for their individual strengths as well, beyond the basic academic. 

It's not just the school's job to reward, but ours as parents as well.

What do you think of ending honor roll and awards programs in schools? Helpful? Hurtful?

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Are you effing kidding me?!?! Parents are so damn uptight these days! Why do people make huge deals over small things like this. It's ridiculous.
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Wow, that's just ridiculous!  I think children who get good grades deserve to be recognized for it.

Cmgmqmmom
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I have no words. This just tells me that we really are dumbing down America.
Kaci
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Ditto. And maybe it will inspire some other kids to try to do just as well.

Quoting cabrandy03:

Wow, that's just ridiculous!  I think children who get good grades deserve to be recognized for it.

happymommy1105
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

NO! 

People should stop being so damn whiny over everything.  People should learn to suck it up and work harder.  People should figure out that those who work hard are rewarded.  They should also figure out that sometimes people are better at some things than others, it's not a bad thing- it's a fact.  

I am so sick of everybody kissing everybody's ass because somebody might get their feelings "hurt".  

Time to grow a thicker skin and realize that in life- your feelings get hurt.  Yes, even as a child.  You teach your child to overcome it.  You teach your child to excel in what he/she is good at.  You teach your child that this is the way of the world and that they are going to have to live in it.

graycalico
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 3:04 PM
That's ridiculous. Every kid has the chance to be on it, it's not like there is a limit so kids who earn it get excluded. This just robs the qualifying students from getting to feel the accomplishment that they earned.
The only thing I could see changing is making sure any kids with special needs are able to qualify, maybe by meeting there own individual goals set up with their teacher instead of grade point.
And for the record, I'm very proud of my middle school honor roll student.
chrissydan
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Really so no recognition for the kids that tried??? If they start this they mine as well quit with grading alk around so as not to make people feel bad
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:52 PM

It's ridiculous to end the Honors program. Kids who work hard should be rewarded. Those that don't make the cut should be more determined to do better.

WTH is wrong with people. It's sad that people are thinking that it's okay to tell kids that you shouldn't strive to do better because it'll hurt someones feelings or esteem. I'm sorry but self-esteem is built by the individual person by doing things esteemable. (at that age) This just boils my blood. It's like they are knocking down the tall ones to be just the same as everyone else!!! UGH!

jbjb1024
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with both of these posts

Quoting Kaci:

Ditto. And maybe it will inspire some other kids to try to do just as well.

Quoting cabrandy03:

othermom
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:52 PM

That is just ridiculous. Kids work hard to get on honor roll and deserve the recognition

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement