Advertisement Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Dealing with the stress of keeping kids safe

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 46 Replies
1 mom liked this

"Don't squeeze so tight, mama!"

It's what my kiddo says often as we are walking down the street. I am holding her hand, holding too tight apparently. Our modes of transportation in order of use: our own two feet, the subway, the bus, a taxi. So, navigating our city, one where autos and large, speeding things and people co-habitate in such close quarters is a little tricky, especially when it comes to the safety department.

But it starts from Day One, this safety freako caution thing we have with our kids. From preventing choking-sized stuff being put into their mouths to not toppling down stairs when they first learn to walk, from making sure they don't contract weird diseases in public restrooms to protecting them from predators basically everywhere, that "must keep you safe" gene kicks in when we first meet them and carries on through...well...always.

How do we deal with this stress of keeping them safe? This is my question today, folks? How do we deal with that constant underlying threat of harm to our kids? At times, I'm fine, it is what it is, but other times, I agree with Chuck, the news of horrible things happening to kids is everywhere and I want to do something for that child andmine. And yeah, I want to also hear the (hopefully) good outcomes.

I know what all of the experts say: teach your kids to be savvy, let them know what is safe, what isn't, keep lines of communication open. I do that (and then some). And most of the time, sure, my focus isn't so laser-pointed on the whole safety issues at all...but other times, it is and it is stressful.

Until I figure it out...I'll be squeezing her hand that little bit extra tight.

How do you deal with that underlying stress of keeping your kids safe?

©iStockphoto.com/Lightandmotion 

by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Make sure my son knows abotu stranger danger!I make his look 3 times both ways before crossing the street now.

jen113000
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:39 AM
I prepare them for some what ifs. Not talking to strangers. To always stay where I can see them. Etc.
Mom2jngnc
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I don't stress. 
They are boys, they are kids, there will be some injuries. 1 year pictures almost always include a bruise to the face.  

Don't talk to strangers means don't give them your name address etc... It is okay to reply hello; I don't know. Maybe it's because I am a laid back Upstater.

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Arm them with education and tips to be safe. I also make sure to constantly stress street safety and they are aware of what to do in the event of a fire.

TigerofMu
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I try really hard to front load all the information before we go anywhere, before we get out of the car.  For instance, if we have to park on the street, then I tell them that everyone needs to get out of that side (and I point, or give a child's name who is sitting on that side), and stand on the sidewalk by (or around) the tree.  I like them to stay close to the vehicle, but they have to give each other room to get out too!  Then I hustle around as fast as I can so they aren't standing there.  If I had little kids I would probably make them wait until I came around and opened the door.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves with our vehicle.  I don't know what the manufacturers were thinking, but there is only one keyhole on the whole thing.  I can only unlock and hit the autolock/unlock from the driver's door.  If I walk around and let the kids out, I have to climb through or walk back around to lock the door.  I have to leave them on the sidewalk and walk around the car to unlock it and let us in.  (My husband is the chivalrous sort and likes to open the door for me, but unless I'm driving, it means he has to walk to the driver's door and unlock it, hit the button, walk around the car to open my door, then walk back around the car.  We usually just skip the opening doors unless the car's already unlocked or I am driving!)

othermom
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:13 AM

It is tough. I try to find a balance of letting them do stuff and making sure they are safe. It is even tougher for me since I have anxiety too and am really bad about worrying

sukainah
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Let them know about the danger of things.

My son had a birthday recently and we still had a balloon up with a string.  I've told both my kids never to put anything around their neck.  Well sure enough, I was cooking the other day and my 5 year old ended up wrapping the string to the balloon around his neck, tight!  I freaked and grabbed a scissor right away and cut it off and through it all away!  I told him NEVER to do that.  Ugh!  Scared me!

dusky_rose
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I think that I am guilty of squeezing my youngest son's hand a little too tight at times.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Agreed.

Quoting johnny4ever:

Make sure my son knows abotu stranger danger!I make his look 3 times both ways before crossing the street now.

louannwilkins
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM

We started early (sadly) with letting the boys know that not all people are nice people and that you don't ever leave with anyone.  You just have to be up front about it and at an early age.  It's sad that you have to tell them that but it's so important now to make sure your kids are safe. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement