Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Dealing with the stress of keeping kids safe

Posted by   + Show Post

"Don't squeeze so tight, mama!"

It's what my kiddo says often as we are walking down the street. I am holding her hand, holding too tight apparently. Our modes of transportation in order of use: our own two feet, the subway, the bus, a taxi. So, navigating our city, one where autos and large, speeding things and people co-habitate in such close quarters is a little tricky, especially when it comes to the safety department.

But it starts from Day One, this safety freako caution thing we have with our kids. From preventing choking-sized stuff being put into their mouths to not toppling down stairs when they first learn to walk, from making sure they don't contract weird diseases in public restrooms to protecting them from predators basically everywhere, that "must keep you safe" gene kicks in when we first meet them and carries on through...well...always.

How do we deal with this stress of keeping them safe? This is my question today, folks? How do we deal with that constant underlying threat of harm to our kids? At times, I'm fine, it is what it is, but other times, I agree with Chuck, the news of horrible things happening to kids is everywhere and I want to do something for that child andmine. And yeah, I want to also hear the (hopefully) good outcomes.

I know what all of the experts say: teach your kids to be savvy, let them know what is safe, what isn't, keep lines of communication open. I do that (and then some). And most of the time, sure, my focus isn't so laser-pointed on the whole safety issues at all...but other times, it is and it is stressful.

Until I figure it out...I'll be squeezing her hand that little bit extra tight.

How do you deal with that underlying stress of keeping your kids safe?

©iStockphoto.com/Lightandmotion 

by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-46):
copperswifey
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I do that with my girls too!

Quoting dusky_rose:

I think that I am guilty of squeezing my youngest son's hand a little too tight at times.

countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I am so glad she is okay.  How scary for all of you!

Quoting Anonymous:

My daughter had an encounter with a pervert inviting her in his apt. I've always talked to her about this kind of scenario but she went in anyway. So I upped the educating her to being very blunt about what this type of person wants from kids. I didn't cushion it at all. I clearly stated all the sick horrible things he could have done to her. She got scared. Maybe I was too straightforward with her and put too much fear in her but this incident scared the hell out of me. I was reacting out of fear. Its over now. She is scared but she is educated about perverts. By the way she is fine. The pervert didn't touch her. She was lucky this time. Next time she probably won't go inside a strange
mans apt.

timon95
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:10 PM

this

Quoting jen113000:

I prepare them for some what ifs. Not talking to strangers. To always stay where I can see them. Etc.

family car

timon95
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:12 PM

i have squeezed their hands a little too tight at times, i scold them if they walk behind me instead of in front of me. if i have to keep turning to find them it is unacceptable. i need to see them at all times.

timon95
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:20 PM

i have to agree. there is so much we need to worry about and prepare our kids for. when i was in school we never had drills on what would happen if a gunman entered the school. there has always been bullies, but not like what there is today. my son will not trick or treat or take candy from anyone (even if we say it is ok) because we taught him to not take things from strangers and to not go to a strangers house. (doesn't matter if we are with him)

Quoting louannwilkins:

We started early (sadly) with letting the boys know that not all people are nice people and that you don't ever leave with anyone.  You just have to be up front about it and at an early age.  It's sad that you have to tell them that but it's so important now to make sure your kids are safe. 

family car

Wish2Be
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 2:57 PM
I worry most about my four year old understanding what I am telling him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN