Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Holiday Words to Remember

Posted by   + Show Post

My in-laws arrive in a week for the "first round" of holidays. We kind of lucky this year that Hanukkah lands right when we're also celebrating Thanksgiving -- killing two birds with one holiday stone (no pun intended for the turkey gobbling we'll be partaking in for our celebratory Thursday dinner).

I love my in-laws and get along with them amazingly well...but like everyone knows, family gatherings fall into that category of ying-yang-ness: there are some awesome parts, and some parts that we struggle with...you can't have one without the other. Often what make the struggling part even more of a struggle? My own stress and anxiety.

Through the holiday season, I'm attempting this year to keep my stress level in check. First up: I'm turning to some wise words, funny words, inspiring words from others about this time of year and families.

People who hardly ever cook at all, suddenly at the holidays, feel like it's their responsibility to not only cook dinner for large groups of people suddenly, but to serve things that are fussy or fancy or formal. And I don't think that's what anybody really wants, especially if you're not good at it. -- Ted Allen

A lovely thing about Christmas is that it's compulsory, like a thunderstorm, and we all go through it together. -- Garrison Keillor

The holiest of holidays are those kept by ourselves in silence and apart; The secret anniversaries of the heart. --  Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Do give books - religious or otherwise - for Christmas. They're never fattening, seldom sinful, and permanently personal. -- Lenore Hershey

One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don't clean it up too quickly. -- Andy Rooney 

You need to learn how to love imperfect people. Because if you succeed at loving imperfect people, then it becomes plausible that somebody could love imperfect you. -- Bishop T.D. Jakes

Are you ready for the stress of the holidays?

©iStockphoto.com/ marekuliasz     

by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-47):
sanj1213
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Me either! 

Quoting Hottmomma607:

I am not going to get stressed!!

Mom2jngnc
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Thanks to a sale on Red Cat I am..... 

countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:39 PM

That is a great quote!

Quoting elasmimi:

Love the Andy Rooney quote. Really miss him.

timon95
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:34 PM

BRING IT!

Miranda1127
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:37 AM

I don't do stress. Especially for the holidays. It's siply not allowed.

Kmakksmom
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:38 PM
I am ready! :)
4kidz916
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Nice quotes.  I am ready for the holidays but I try to keep the stress to a minimum.  I've done some shopping all year long and I've made some gifts.  I hope to be completely through with the shopping by next week so that takes away a big stresser. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)