Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Do you do the wishbone throwdown?

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 51 Replies

So, who makes the wish on the wishbone at your Thanksgiving festivities? Uncle Morrie and your dad? The littlest kiddos? I know the sought-after privilege of making that wish and pulling on one leg of the upside-down-v-shaped bone causes much hullabaloo in certain households.

My husband would always tell me how there would be, ahem, "heated" discussions between him, his brother, and his cousins as to who got to break the wishbone on Thanksgiving Day. My sister and I? We didn't really get into it much, as we had a few wishbones lying around.

Growing up my mom would make a turkey dinner a few times a year...for when folks visited, for large gatherings, for Thanksgiving and Christmas. As she would say (and what I've heard over and over again from other cooks), it's a pretty easy meal to make. A byproduct of all of these turkey dinners? Many turkey dinners mean many wishbones. She would keep them all year, in a little mini porcelain pitcher that sat on the sill of the kitchen window by the sink (she said it was so they would dry out, making it easier to break when making a wish, but I think she just didn't want random bones hanging around various places in the abode).

So, come Thanksgiving, because we had more than one wishbone to break, almost everyone got to make a wish. Pretty cool, right? I can't for the life of me remember what I wished for as a kid (a new Star Wars toy? Some cool video game?), but I do have distinct memories of pulling on that bone against my much-stronger-than-me dad...and somehow always ending up "winning," with the bigger piece. (Thanks, Dad!)

Who breaks the wishbone in your house? What do you wish for?

©iStockphoto.com/ hidesy

by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dusky_rose
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 12:03 AM

We used to do that as kids, but nobody seems to want to do it now. Pretty sad, huh?

chrissydan
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 3:00 AM
We did when we had turkey but we switched to ham instead
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Nov. 28, 2013 at 7:04 AM
Usually the two youngest ones will try. This year it should be fun as it'll be a 3.5 year old and a 4.5 year old.

We try and change it each year with a new "rule" of how to be the ones. It's our way of knowing who has done it years past.
TerriC
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 8:30 AM

The girls do.  My sister and I used to when we were little.  I am sure they wish for candy....or toys.  lol

sukainah
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 10:01 AM

My kids usually get that privilege if we remember it LOL

Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Growing up it was always a kid and grown up and kids and grown ups picked straws
Kaci
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 11:08 AM
We have ham. ;)
Kaci
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 11:09 AM
I fixed a turkey one year. Eww. lol Ham here also.

Quoting chrissydan:

We did when we had turkey but we switched to ham instead
Kaci
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 11:10 AM
My sister and I did as kids. If we remembered to also. lol

Quoting sukainah:

sukainah
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 11:12 AM

My sister and I did too!  But we made sure that our parents remembered it.  Then there was the problem of if we went to a big family gathering and our cousins and my sister and I had to figure out who was going to get it LOL

Quoting Kaci:

My sister and I did as kids. If we remembered to also. lol

Quoting sukainah:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)