Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Conversation 101

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 47 Replies

So, yesterday we chatted about being in a conversation rut with your hubby, but what about a different angle to this conversation question. With all of these upcoming holiday events we have, I almost always find myself talking with someone for a little while and then the conversation kind of stalls. What do you do? How do you make that conversation one that is actually interesting and keep it going?

It all starts with avoiding the dreaded questions that seem like you are on an interview - what do you do, how long have you lived here, blah blah blah. Those are sure ways to tank that conversation. Better questions? Definitely those that you can't answer with one word. I read a good one to try: "What is filling your days lately?" With this, the person can talk about work or family or anything that is keeping him busy.

Another good idea: ask about something that will let you get to know him or her. Think TV shows she watches or books he's read lately. It gives you an insight into them and even if you don't know anything about Scandal or "The Goldfinch," have them tell you about it. It's a perfect way to keep that conversation going!

But, sometimes, you just can't find something to talk about. I've been there many times. It happens. Not anyone's fault, but it happens. What to do when all else fails? Excuse yourself and go to the bathroom.

How do you keep a conversation going? Do you have a hard time or an easy time?

©iStockphoto.com/Logorilla

by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittany208
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:30 AM

it depends on who im talking to. i try to find something in common with the other person that we can talk about.

earthangel1967
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I guess I've never really thought about HOW I keep a conversation going it just seems to come naturally without thinking about it. It comes easily to me.

I suppose a part of it is my genuine interest in what the other person has to say, thinks and feels even if very diffierent from me. I am a good listener and will take something they said or shared and ask more questions about it or link it to similarily related new conversation topic that something they said reminded me of and keep the person involved.

View Full Size Image YVONNE

jessicasmom1
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM

no hard time .. I find things in common to talk about

la1118
by Laura on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:58 AM
I am terrible at the art of making conversation. I am pretty shy and rely on the other person to keep it going sometimes. Usually I insert nervous laughter at awkward pauses.
momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Honestly I hate talking in person lol. I just feel uncomfortable

Kmakksmom
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 10:37 AM
I can almost always keep a conversation going, unless it's about politics.
proudmommy690
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 10:54 AM
I have a hard time keeping a conversation going
Vertical15
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I am a talker by nature.  I will just ramble until the other person picks up something. 

dusky_rose
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Thats a good idea, asking them what's keeping them busy. Almost everyone is busy this time of year.

sukainah
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I have a hard time keeping conversations going.  These are good tips

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)