Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

So, yesterday we chatted about being in a conversation rut with your hubby, but what about a different angle to this conversation question. With all of these upcoming holiday events we have, I almost always find myself talking with someone for a little while and then the conversation kind of stalls. What do you do? How do you make that conversation one that is actually interesting and keep it going?

It all starts with avoiding the dreaded questions that seem like you are on an interview - what do you do, how long have you lived here, blah blah blah. Those are sure ways to tank that conversation. Better questions? Definitely those that you can't answer with one word. I read a good one to try: "What is filling your days lately?" With this, the person can talk about work or family or anything that is keeping him busy.

Another good idea: ask about something that will let you get to know him or her. Think TV shows she watches or books he's read lately. It gives you an insight into them and even if you don't know anything about Scandal or "The Goldfinch," have them tell you about it. It's a perfect way to keep that conversation going!

But, sometimes, you just can't find something to talk about. I've been there many times. It happens. Not anyone's fault, but it happens. What to do when all else fails? Excuse yourself and go to the bathroom.

How do you keep a conversation going? Do you have a hard time or an easy time?

©iStockphoto.com/Logorilla

by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-47):
TerriC
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this
That is why you were so easy to talk to! Lol! I am the same way!

Quoting Vertical15:

I am a talker by nature.  I will just ramble until the other person picks up something. 

countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Same here.  I am much better with people I know. 

Quoting jen113000: I'm not good at conversations with people I'm not familiar with.

lalasmama2007
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 11:19 PM

It depends on who I'm talking to.

Sisteract
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Pick a subject that you interests the other party.

Vertical15
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I find each year I am able to ramble on about anything much better then the year before.  LoL

Quoting TerriC: That is why you were so easy to talk to! Lol! I am the same way!

Quoting Vertical15:

I am a talker by nature.  I will just ramble until the other person picks up something. 

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 7:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Exactly, and I still keep it interesting!  LOL

Quoting Vertical15:

I find each year I am able to ramble on about anything much better then the year before.  LoL

Quoting TerriC: That is why you were so easy to talk to! Lol! I am the same way!

Quoting Vertical15:

ScrChk23
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Sometimes I have a hard time.  If it is a new group of people it is harder

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN