Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

if you went out black friday shopping...did you run into any rude ppl? how about the workers?

by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Replies (71-73):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 7, 2013 at 1:22 AM

I have never actually gone shopping on Black Friday, but I have worked retail in the past.  Some issues that I HATED to deal with>

Parents that would come out with their infants. REALLY? The entire family?  Mom, Dad, school age children, babe on the boob. Tell me, who does not trust who?  Does Dad not trust Mom with the money to go shopping, or does Mom not trust Dad with the children at home?  It must really suck to live that way.

Dad walks away and leaves Mom to contend with the kids and the shopping while he ‘gets lost'.  Then returns and gets mad because  I (store employee) was NOT helping with his kids.

Then there were the parents who allowed their children to open packages of items (toys) because, "S/he just wants to play with it for a minute", and they would make it clear to me that they had no  intentions of buying said item (but never say anything aloud).  (Like I'd be crazy for even thinking such a thing).  That would really tick me off, b/c now we cannot sell that merchandise and we will have to damage it out.

I had a co-worker who dealt with it amazingly.  When this would happen to her and the parent would be rude, she'd go all super nice to the kid.  She would say, "wow that is a really cool (toy).  Then she would talk about / mention how great the toy is..  Then she would say something like, you are so lucky that your Mommy is buying that for you, she must REALLY love you"...

Now the kid's thinking they are going to get the toy b/c Mommy loves them¸ but the flip side is, if Mommy doesn't buy the toy, she really does not love you.

OR >> The parents who put the item in to the cart, then ask you to hide it because they really have no intentions of buying it for their kid.  (I'm like REALLY?  You want me to hide that back behind my cashier stall?  There is barely room for me back here.

Now, having left retail, I don't work on BF.  But I still have friends who do, and the stories I heard from them were completely ridiculous.  I think the funniest was the customer who left the store because the lines were too long, then returned on Monday and DEMANDED the B/F prices and early birds / hourly specials be honored for her.  Manager said no.  She (the customer) threatened to sue the store.

sarahjz
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 8:07 AM

I didn't go out.  I've never been black friday shopping.

Diane1223
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:24 AM
It was too cold to brave the craziness...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)