Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Family Emergencies

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:38 AM
  • 55 Replies

So my husband fell out of a tree yesterday...okay, well he didn't really fall, he jumped.  He was cutting branches out of the tree because they were growing into the power line, and as one came down he thought it was going to swing his way, and he jumped out of the tree.

Normally no big deal, he's done this many times, but this time something went wrong.  He landed on something, or turned as he landed, or just hit wrong, and his femur slammed down into his tibia hard enough to break off the top piece. The xrays and CT scan are pretty dramatic.

He is scheduled to be the first surgery of the morning (as long as no emergencies come in) and they will go in to lift up the piece of bone that got shoved down and reconstruct the support with pins and plates. It will be open knee surgery, and they are predicting at least 8 weeks of non-weight bearing activity.

As you can imagine, this could have a rather dramatic effect on Christmas, not to mention household activity and finances for the next few weeks and months.  Without good health insurance and an emergency fund, an accident like this could take years to rebound from financially.  We are blessed in that he has a few weeks of vacation left, and his employer is willing to work with him to set up short term disability and an office job until he's up and able to work in the field again, as well as the fact that we have been putting money away into an emergency fund.

What would your family do if something happened to you or your spouse/SO?  Are you prepared for emergencies?  Do you have plans in place for your kids if one of you is injured or ill?

by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittany208
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

oh no!!

we would be in trouble if something happened to DH.

kmqw229
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Poor guy! I hope he heals quickly!

We would be in trouble if dh got hurt!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephanie116
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh my.. I hope he has a quick recovery! I can't imagine the pain he must be in.

If my dh were hurt we would make it work, but it would suck because he is the sole provider.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
graycalico
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
We would be hurting. He does have a desk job right now, so that part would work depending on the injury. I could get a job but unless he was able to watch the littles we'd be paying tons for daycare
jbjb1024
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I hope for a fast and easy recovery for your husband

We would be in trouble if that happened. My husband gets 1 week a year sick time and 3 personal days. All of which are gone.

I have short term so I would be OK

We have not 1 penny in savings
conweis
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I hope he gets better soon.

conweis
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

We have SO disability through work he paid into. Now we are applying for SSDI. We lived paycheck to paycheck to begin with. We lost our home and bought a cheap trailer.
He now doesn't have insurance so we are looking around at free clinics to continue with his care until he is approve for disability and can get medicare. 

la1118
by Laura on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh my gosh!  Hope the surgery goes well and he recovers quickly.  DH and I both have pretty good insurance and benefits.  We could get paid Short-term or Long-term Disability for awhile and I know his parents would also do whatever they could to help out, if needed.

proudmommy690
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this
I hope he gets better quick.

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I hope he gets better quickly. DH is the sole provider here but he has a desk job now so it would have to depend on the injury.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)