Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Family Emergencies

Posted by   + Show Post

So my husband fell out of a tree yesterday...okay, well he didn't really fall, he jumped.  He was cutting branches out of the tree because they were growing into the power line, and as one came down he thought it was going to swing his way, and he jumped out of the tree.

Normally no big deal, he's done this many times, but this time something went wrong.  He landed on something, or turned as he landed, or just hit wrong, and his femur slammed down into his tibia hard enough to break off the top piece. The xrays and CT scan are pretty dramatic.

He is scheduled to be the first surgery of the morning (as long as no emergencies come in) and they will go in to lift up the piece of bone that got shoved down and reconstruct the support with pins and plates. It will be open knee surgery, and they are predicting at least 8 weeks of non-weight bearing activity.

As you can imagine, this could have a rather dramatic effect on Christmas, not to mention household activity and finances for the next few weeks and months.  Without good health insurance and an emergency fund, an accident like this could take years to rebound from financially.  We are blessed in that he has a few weeks of vacation left, and his employer is willing to work with him to set up short term disability and an office job until he's up and able to work in the field again, as well as the fact that we have been putting money away into an emergency fund.

What would your family do if something happened to you or your spouse/SO?  Are you prepared for emergencies?  Do you have plans in place for your kids if one of you is injured or ill?

by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:38 AM
Replies (51-55):
Mom2jngnc
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

financially we are still paycheck to paycheck most months. AFLAC short term accident has a 2 week waiting period before it kicks in. 
I learned from when he was out with his shoulder in 2004 (from a motorcycle accident) to get on the phone to the mortgage, car etc ASAP... and give them a heads up so accounts can be noted and things can be worked out with them if needed.  

Child care is probably the easiest for us to work out... lol

Quoting TigerofMu:

Good that you are prepared and have plans in place!

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

What would your family do if something happened to you or your spouse/SO? Thankfully all of my DH's injuries have been at work. We have AFLAC and such in place for emergencies  

Are you prepared for emergencies? Kind of, we are a paramedic and an EMT....   Do you have plans in place for your kids if one of you is injured or ill? Kin df, we have LOTS of friends that are close by and we are close to that would happily jump in and help with the kids. Our oldest is also 18 so that helps.

Numom61507
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm paranoid as anything! It mostly stems from me planning ahead for what would be done if something happened to me. He would need time off or pay a lot for daycare. 

Quoting TigerofMu:

That is fantastic!  You sound well prepared.

Quoting Numom61507:

Yikes that sucks :(

If something happened to my husband, he has enough vacation and personal time to where we would be fine. If he was on crutches, he could still do his job, but he would lose some of his pay to whoever was helping him though.

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 11:20 AM

That is a good proactive strategy.  A lot of those companies will work with you as long as you contact them from the beginning.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

financially we are still paycheck to paycheck most months. AFLAC short term accident has a 2 week waiting period before it kicks in. 
I learned from when he was out with his shoulder in 2004 (from a motorcycle accident) to get on the phone to the mortgage, car etc ASAP... and give them a heads up so accounts can be noted and things can be worked out with them if needed.  

Child care is probably the easiest for us to work out... lol

Quoting TigerofMu:

Good that you are prepared and have plans in place!

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

What would your family do if something happened to you or your spouse/SO? Thankfully all of my DH's injuries have been at work. We have AFLAC and such in place for emergencies  

Are you prepared for emergencies? Kind of, we are a paramedic and an EMT....   Do you have plans in place for your kids if one of you is injured or ill? Kin df, we have LOTS of friends that are close by and we are close to that would happily jump in and help with the kids. Our oldest is also 18 so that helps.

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 11:33 AM

That is pretty cool!  Thank you.

Quoting chattycassie: I am blessed. My work gives me a buscard. So I am saving about 40 a week in gas too. I hope your hubby recovers soon.

Quoting TigerofMu:

A tranny is a tough thing to save for because they can be pricey!  I'm glad that you have the option to take the bus to save.  That may be a pain, but it's actually kind of neat.

Quoting chattycassie: I have short and long term disability I buy from work. My s/o dosnet have anything. I am the main income earner so we pay for what we nees most. We have NO savings right now I am putting of putting a new tranny in my car so we can have Christmas. Its the bus for me the rest of the month.

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

It is scary!

Quoting Numom61507:

I'm paranoid as anything! It mostly stems from me planning ahead for what would be done if something happened to me. He would need time off or pay a lot for daycare. 

Quoting TigerofMu:

That is fantastic!  You sound well prepared.

Quoting Numom61507:

Yikes that sucks :(

If something happened to my husband, he has enough vacation and personal time to where we would be fine. If he was on crutches, he could still do his job, but he would lose some of his pay to whoever was helping him though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN