Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Unwanted Gifts

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 2:31 PM
  • 20 Replies
What do you do if your child gets a toy you don't approve of?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 3:44 PM

It depends. I might donate it or return it. If it is to old for them I save it for them. Some I just let them have. Like last year my son was given some really strong magnets, I don't remember what they are called, from his great grandma and am much as I don't like them. I let him keep them. They just sit on a shelf in his room though, he rarely does anythign with them

cindilou13
by Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I'm not sure of anything I just flat out wouldn't approve of...can't think of anything at the moment anyway.  If it's something that was above their age level I'd probably save it, if there was as safety concern I'd return it, though don't think we've gotten anything like that.  We exchange lists with both my parents and the in-laws because of how many people are giving and receiving, and people pretty much stick to them, so they aren't likely to get something totally off the wall.  Sometimes there are things I might like more than others, but it's not me that's playing with it lol.

Also we unwrap but don't open package at gift exchange settings usually-at my parents for example there are 12 grandkids, and it's too easy for something to get lost or broken, so no one opens anything unless it's something everyone can do (play a game in turns maybe or whatever).  Same applies at the kids' b-day presents, we usually have them at a park, so they unwrap and thank everyone but they are busy playing on the equipment and such and we wait to open the packages until we get home.  So if they get something just totally inappropriate, a duplicate, or just something they really have no interest in and would just sit around, we return it. 

amber3902
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Give it to Goodwill or re-gift it, depending on what it was.

Firenygirl180
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 4:30 PM
There isn't really anything i don't approve of. If it's for older kids we save it. If it's a duplicate we see what we'd get returning it to get something else or we donate or use it for a gift for someone else.
liveforever
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 5:10 PM
I can't think of anything I wouldn't approve of. If its an age thing I'd just save it.
Numom61507
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I'm kind of a bitch about this, to be honest. I make lists and people are 99% good about sticking to them. Only once has Mini gotten something I didn't want her to have. Luckily, she didn't see it and it met an untimely demise..

chrissydan
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 2:23 AM
I give lists to BUT dh's fam does whatever they want. My dd is 15 months they asked can she have a tablet un NO she is 1 for goodness sake let her be a kid, bratz dolls nope again dh and I have hard feelings about thoes and sock monkeys. Well they bought her what we said not to and I am mad. You can't just overstep our rules and do whatever you please. Vent over

Quoting Numom61507:

I'm kind of a bitch about this, to be honest. I make lists and people are 99% good about sticking to them. Only once has Mini gotten something I didn't want her to have. Luckily, she didn't see it and it met an untimely demise..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twitchandsnore
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 5:35 AM
I don't know if I've ever not approved of a toy. There were definitely some I didn't like but I didn't take them away.
sunshinepraying
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:44 AM
I'd return it, donate it, or regift it if I knew another child that wanted it
conweis
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I have four boys so it is different. If I don't like the toy I would let them take it outside and play with it unsupervised... and toss it after it gets broken 20 minutes later.
If it is something I truly dislike I would take it and put it up. I would either wait til it is age appropriate or tell them to rewrap it and give it to a friend.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN