Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How many do you eat?

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 1:14 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

Recommended Amount of Fruits and Vegegtables
How Much Is a Serving?

Take a look at the photo This is the recommended amount of fruits and vegetables most people should eat daily

When you hear a minimum of 5, does that seem like a lot? Do you wonder how you can eat that many?

You may be getting more than you think. Count them up. A serving size for fruit or vegetables to be equal to about one-half cup. So if you eat 1 cup of of fruit or vegetables, that's two servings. Greens like spinach and lettuce have a serving size equal to one full cup. That's not much. One serving of sliced fruit is equal to one-half cup. Look at your measuring cups. Measure out what you're eating. You may be getting more than you think.

Many nutrition and dietary experts suggest you eat from five to nine servings of fruits and vegetables every day. That is a total. Older or inactive women and smaller children need at least three servings of vegetables and two servings of fruit. Growing kids, teen girls, most men and active women should eat at least four servings of vegetables and three servings of fruit every day. Teen boys and active men should eat at least five servings of vegetables and four servings of fruit every day. Unfortunately many people fail to eat even the minimum suggested level of five servings of fruits or vegetables each day.

How many will you eat today?

Here's a link to a calculator to figure out what you or your kids should be eating.

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/fruitsvegetables/howmany.html

by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Jan. 6, 2014 at 1:17 PM
I probably get close to 5 servings a day.
Rust.n.Gears
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 1:18 PM
I go over by a lot
psych_mom
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Here lately not enough because we haven't been eating super healthy because we have been super busy. That needs to change immediately.

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Jan. 6, 2014 at 4:32 PM
I definitely eat more than 5 servings.
virginiamama71
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Somedays just enough some days not enough

louannwilkins
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Some days lots and other times not

lillucky8
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 6:47 PM
The kids def get plenty of fruits and veggies, i tend to not snack as much as they do so im lacking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newwifenmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Sometimes enough, sometimes not. My tot gets his weekly servings though USUALLY lol

HotSouthernMess
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 6:55 PM
I probably don't gt enough fruits but I do well in the veggie area.
othermom
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 7:01 PM

I eat a few servings a day. It depends on the time of year really.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)