Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Where I am Learning About Online Safety

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 50 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have to say, in reading some research on this and watching the videos with our Mad Life crew, this whole sphere of parenting that I know I'll be tackling in the future is, well, really scary. I mean, not like Paranormal Activity scary, but just that low level of scariness, perhaps wrapped with overlays of anxiety and worry. The newscasts of young people being bullied to the point of depression and suicide, and missing persons cases of teens who leave to meet up with someone they've never met before except online -- these are the horrors that fill me with the parental heebie-jeebies.

But, as I've been told over and over again, the main defense is a good offense. The way to somewhat have a handle on this is to be prepared, to be aware, to be involved and to be proactive with how you approach this. One key thing about living in this technologically-amazing time? You don't just have to depend on what Aunt Florence and the five moms at the local high school have to say about the matter. You can find amazing resources to help you...here are a few I'd start with:

-- CommonSenseMedia.org has everything from guidelines on social media use to the latest reviews of websites. Always up-to-date, they have many checklists and guidelines for parents. This is bookmarked on my computer!

-- ConnectSafely.org. Well, the name says it all: they help you and your families connect safely to the Internet. Chock-full of tips and advice, this is a must-see site.

-- PBS.org. They brought your little ones Elmo and Abby Caddabby to guide them to the ABCs and knowing how to share. The folks over at PBS now have videos, quizzes and information you can use as your family ventures from Mr. Rodger's Neighborhood into the metropolis of social media.

-- Parenting.com. The online version of this magazine has a perfect 13-step breakdown that is a great jumping-off point if you need a fast and simple tutorial.

How do you plan to keep your kids safe while using technology?

©iStockphoto.com/ MaszaS 

by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
graycalico
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 1:14 AM
Thanks for all the links! I'm going to check them out. I think it's important to keep an ongoing conversation about Internet safety. And other things. We need to keep talking with our kids.
TheJerseyGirl
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 6:31 AM

My kids are better and smarter at it than I am!lol!

Miranda1127
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, it's not that scary. Well anymore than any other new step in parenting. Once you're in it it'll seem like a piece of cake compared to those toddler stages.

W/my oldest (almost 12), we have just taken  the open and honest approach (much like our parenting in general). She has been given guidelines and told that we will monitoras we see fit. The bottom line basic is....if you wont scream it out loud in public don't write it online. Once they understand...while you may be in your underwear in your bedroom as you type that your words are VERY public and seen by countless people.....it's pretty easy. Another main point is ....if you don't know them personally, don't trust that they are who they say they are (or will do what they say they will do). Not as easy a lesson as the first (IMO) seeing as how by nature children are very trusting....but keeping it simple and stressing these main 2 lessons has kept the issue rather simple for us.

liveforever
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:56 AM

My dd is 7 and knows how to go online. Dh and I just talked to her about whats appropriate and monitor what sites shes on. So far its been easy since she is on it for school or games. The only issue we had was with youtube. She would go on to watch Taylor Swift videos, but then click on the suggests links and go all kinds of odd places. 

As she gets older well get more in depth and have the talks about whats on the internet stays there forever. If shes on any social media well have the passwords.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Thanks!!

jessicasmom1
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 9:32 AM

thank you I read all mad life posts 

sanj1213
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Pbs.org is one I like

arpazia
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:25 AM
It doesn't scare me.
I made it through my childhood/ teen years.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Thank you for the links! I'm new to this, my DD just got a tablet for christmas and before that had little interest in the Internet

Lizzys_mommy13
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I plan on installing parental controls and key loggers. May seem a bit extreme, but I know how *I* was as a teen and I wish my parents would have been a bit more cautious with me. Yes, my dad had a few traps set up, but nothing I didn't know how to get around. I don't want my kids telling some random person on the internet where they live, where they will be at any given time, having "cyber sex" or doing any of the other very risky things I participated in. 
I will also explain the dangers of technology as well as watch to be sure my children don't participate in any "bullying" behaviour.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN