Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Is It OK to Secretly Snoop on Our Kids? (Part 2)

Posted by   + Show Post

We're always scared about what our kids might be sharing on social media and whether they're making healthy choices when we're not around. In this episode, Parenting Expert and Life Coach Harriet Cole shows us how social media can be a useful tool for parents, even when our kids de-friend us!

by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:51 AM
Replies (21-30):
johnny4ever
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:10 AM

I monitor his fb page and have his password 

lalasmama2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:07 AM

My dd is too young to require snooping.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:01 PM

I never have snoped on them, they haven't given me a reason to.  I am open with them.  My step dad snooped on m all the time (I always knew), it was so annoying to me that he had such lack of trust.

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Excellent point!

Quoting graycalico: This. Nothing about the Internet is private, so it doesn't really count as snooping anyway

Quoting la_bella_vita:

I prefer to not do things secretly. I look with them present.

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Quoting goddess99:

My dd has a laptop and I get weekly emails that show me every site she was on, every site she tried that was blocked, every search, even partial words. Plus we look through her laptop and get all her passwords. She knows we do this, no secrets here.

do you know how I can sign up for the e-mail thing?

Lizzys_mommy13
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:43 PM

I agree with having help from other people. I see some of the things my nephew posts online and I have had to say something a couple times. His parents are on there, but they don't see everything. 
The social media until 15 is a fantastic idea! My kids wont be allowed to have any kind of facebook/myspace/google plus or whatever is out at that time until they are 16-ish and can prove they can be responsible enough with something like that online. Even then, it will be monitored.
Phones, for us will probably happen fairly early. Nothing fancy though. A simple pre-paid phone that can be used to call us or 9-1-1 if something happens. Too many creepers out there these days, and something like that to me would help a kid in a potentially bad situation. Not sure what age that will start, but I might teach my daughter sometime around Kindergarten how to use one and keep it in her back pack or something.  

sha_lyn68
by New Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Not only is it OK, it is our duty as parents to keep an eye on what our children are doing.

Janet
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I totally agree with snooping. It has saved lives.
goddess99
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I'll ask my dh when he gets home from work. He's the one who sets that stuff up.

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Quoting goddess99:

My dd has a laptop and I get weekly emails that show me every site she was on, every site she tried that was blocked, every search, even partial words. Plus we look through her laptop and get all her passwords. She knows we do this, no secrets here.

do you know how I can sign up for the e-mail thing?

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Yes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)