Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Do You Wear Make-Up?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 71 Replies

Okay, I admit it. When I'm waiting in the check-out line at the grocery store, I scan the stories in those magazines. You know the ones - those with all of the celebrity gossip. One of the craziest and funniest headlines that always get me: celebrities without make-up! Like that is a big shocker. Of course, they don't wear make-up ALL of the time.

But it always gets me pondering how often the normal gal/mom/woman/lady wears make-up - and how much make-up? Living in NYC, I see quite a variety of folks and I tell you, it seems many ladies wear make-up, a lot of it. Now, my mom likes her lipstick, as does my sis and most of my friends. And as far as lips go for me? I like a basic Chapstick. I usually swipe some powder over my face and then add a wee bit of mascara before heading out the door. For a party or some dinner out? I'll add some eye shadow. Not much, I know.

Now, Kiddo has become much more aware of make-up, and notices as I am applying it. She's started asking if she can wear some "stuff on my eyes." She's almost seven, so obviously, that isn't happening anytime soon, but she does have her own little Chapstick. When will I let her wear more? Not sure...my niece at 13 wears a light amount to school. Maybe around that time?

It's tough when Kiddo asks why I wear make-up...I want her to feel confident about herself and her looks no matter what, and I know a big part of that is showing her I feel confident in my own looks. Tackling the topic of make-up gets tricky, no?

How much make-up do you wear? When did you first start wearing make-up?

©iStockphoto.com/miss_j 

by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DanaG70
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 12:05 AM

I wear none. I used to wear a little eye shadow and mascara. I'm not allergic to all of it. The base causes me to get huge welts on my face and the eye shadow and mascara makes my eyes hurt. 

I was never one to wear makeup often, just when we went out. My daughter started wearing it when she was 13, but only wears it on special occasions, such as school dances or nights out with friends.

graycalico
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 12:08 AM
I don't wear much any more. I think I started using mascara in 8th grade. My dd wears a bit now. I don't know if it's because if reality TV but it seems like I see girls with over the top makeup and fake lashes on for every day activities.
Luvizth3drug
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 12:12 AM
I just wear mascara and eyeliner. Chapstick for the lips. Just to work and if I'm goin out. Started about 14 or 15
Stephanie116
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:21 AM
Rarely
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2014 at 2:03 AM
I used to, but it was never really my thing. I haven't worn any in over a year. I only used eyeliner and eyeshadow, anyway.
jbjb1024
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 2:43 AM
1 mom liked this
No. I feel weird wearing it
TheJerseyGirl
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 5:49 AM

Not much on my face...mostly eyes and I DO NOT leave the house without it!

SouthernKYSass
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 6:08 AM
I wear make-up, love my dark eye make-up. I don't like leaving the house without it on.
mrswillie
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:12 AM
I wear BB cream, mascara, eyeliner, Blush, and lip color.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:41 AM
I brought this topic up in Dove's self-esteem group actually.

I tell DD I like to use makeup to enhance my already-pretty features. Like I line my eyes to bring out the color. I never frame makeup as something that hides flaws. Never ever. And I gave her a little sparkly dust thing she can put on too. She's 5 and these answers seem to satisfy her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)