Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Heroes: Are Our Kids Worshipping the Right Ones?

Posted by   + Show Post

We had celebrity role models when we were kids, so when we see kids doing the same thing, how concerned should we be about the people they choose to idolize?

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:38 AM
Replies (11-20):
johnny4ever
Beautiful day!
Today at 8:35 AM
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:48 PM

My son likes Sports Guys

mmtosam06
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:51 PM
2 moms liked this

This my daughter doesn't know who is famous minus the fact there are a few kids who talk about Justin Bieber and she doesn't even know who he is

Quoting HotSouthernMess:

My kids are pretty shielded from main-stream media. They have no clue who most "famous" people are. 

Stephanie nice to meet you.
dusky_rose
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Hmmmm... my youngest son is only 6, so he hasn't got a lot of people to idolize in his life. My other children are grown and seem to have survived that stage.

~ From your friendly neighborhood Sue :-) <3 ~

Apr1l
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:33 PM

my kids don't look up to anyone really yet, they enjoy watching Olympians, but no one they look up to.  Do superheroes count?

virginiamama71
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:36 PM

My son is 11 and he has his favorites but he learning about our beliefs and worshipping God before people.

louannwilkins
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:52 PM

I like this   :)

Quoting ceciliam:

I don't really believe in idolizing other people. I would rather teach my son to be true to himself, and not worry about basing his life and decisions off of someone he doesn't even know.

elasmimi
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

This is how we are. I don't even know the current famous young people are, except for the ones getting the bad press, and she doesn't know anything about them. I know it can't stay that way, but it's nice for now.

Quoting HotSouthernMess:

My kids are pretty shielded from main-stream media. They have no clue who most "famous" people are. 

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:40 PM

My children do not idolize anyone at this point in time.

Numom61507
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:02 PM

The celebrity role models we had as kids and the ones now are two different animals. As kids, when we didn't watch the news we had no idea what celebrities were doing and who was getting into trouble. All we did was hear their music or see their movies. Nowadays, you can't be in a grocery checkout lane without the magazines blaring all the stupid stuff kids are doing. 

The way that people are becoming famous is an issue now too. Teen moms were not given millions and glorified. Drunk partiers were only what you saw on spring break. "Sex tapes" were unheard of. It's crazy what our kids are dealing with now.

We as parents can teach them to be true to themselves while also being positive role models for them at home with the hope that they will make their own paths in life and not try to copy someone else. 

timon95
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:16 PM

my kids do not idolize any celebrity

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)