Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Heroes: Are Our Kids Worshipping the Right Ones?

Posted by   + Show Post

We had celebrity role models when we were kids, so when we see kids doing the same thing, how concerned should we be about the people they choose to idolize?

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:38 AM
Replies (21-30):
Desirae1394
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:50 PM

I really didn't idolize any celebs. I try to shape who my kids are watching/listening to though so hopefully I don't need to worry about trash. 

momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this

My 11 year old dd  and I were watching disney channel. And we saw that good luck charlie is ending.I said I missed the old days  of Disney and she said she did too. She said she missed  Hannah Montana before miley got crazy

krys1025
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:56 PM
They definitely don't idolize them, but they do follow up on what they do, dress, etc but my kids are pretty smart once those celebs start making bad choices their like ok, moving on :)
krys1025
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:51 AM
Awesome

Quoting goddess99:

I don't really worry too much about this. A couple weeks ago my dd, 11, told me how shocked she was that Miley is behaving inappropriately. Her words. So that was nice to hear she gets it and she doesn't like her anymore. Guess I'm doing something right.

Bob192
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 2:06 AM

I am always looking at the role models my children choose and try to help them see the good and negative traits.

Jukebox_Jenny
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 3:39 AM
1 mom liked this
DD8 really liked Justin Bieber until she found out about his recent poor behavior. Then she informed that, "Well, I guess I don't need to like HIM anymore." I was very proud of her judgement.
mrswillie
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:53 AM
I yhink core values start in the home. If they have those, their idols will be good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this
That is great. It shows you are teaching her well.

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny: DD8 really liked Justin Bieber until she found out about his recent poor behavior. Then she informed that, "Well, I guess I don't need to like HIM anymore." I was very proud of her judgement.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:47 AM

My dd has also mentioned his behavior lately and has said very similar to what your dd said.

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny: DD8 really liked Justin Bieber until she found out about his recent poor behavior. Then she informed that, "Well, I guess I don't need to like HIM anymore." I was very proud of her judgement.

kerryket
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:48 AM
My kids don't seem to settle into one or two mainstream idols, they seem to spread it out and somehow (deep breath here) are not all that impressed with pop culture, they are interested and play around with it, but are more amused than blind followers. I hope they carry this kind of attitude forward, maybe it's an ASD thing, already being observers on the fringes of society?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)