Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Heroes: Are Our Kids Worshipping the Right Ones?

Posted by   + Show Post

We had celebrity role models when we were kids, so when we see kids doing the same thing, how concerned should we be about the people they choose to idolize?

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:38 AM
Replies (41-50):
Kaci
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:22 PM
That's great

Quoting krys1025: They definitely don't idolize them, but they do follow up on what they do, dress, etc but my kids are pretty smart once those celebs start making bad choices their like ok, moving on :)
PennOhioBabe
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:12 PM
This.....

Quoting la_bella_vita:

My children do not idolize anyone at this point in time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kellynh
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 7:42 AM

I love this!! 

Quoting ceciliam:

I don't really believe in idolizing other people. I would rather teach my son to be true to himself, and not worry about basing his life and decisions off of someone he doesn't even know.

kellynh
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 7:45 AM

My oldest is 21, youngest is 7 mths. Growing up, my kids never idolized any celeb enough to emulate them. Now my oldest loved the Japanese culture and that came about from Anime. She went n to research the language, culture, ect. That spark started with books 

countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I think there are some celebrities that are okay to admire and others who are definitely not okay.  I would much raqther their have pice and firefighters and teachers and such as their heros though.

countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:13 AM

It sounds like both of you are raising very smart girls.

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny: That's great!!

Quoting goddess99:

My dd has also mentioned his behavior lately and has said very similar to what your dd said.

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny: DD8 really liked Justin Bieber until she found out about his recent poor behavior. Then she informed that, "Well, I guess I don't need to like HIM anymore." I was very proud of her judgement.

arpazia
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:14 AM
The people ds likes aren't violent or druggies so I'm fine
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wish2Be
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:23 AM

I dont know...as kids...sometimes our heros change at the drop of a dime...and sometimes they dont. I remember when I was 14 I idolized Queen Elizabeth I. By the time I was 16 I was repulsed to find out that she had a huge hand in slave trade....even though it was part of the times....I think that if I was younger I might have taken that differently.

Wish2Be
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Quoting Apr1l:

my kids don't look up to anyone really yet, they enjoy watching Olympians, but no one they look up to.  Do superheroes count?

Super Heroes do count !

My son loves Mario because he saves Princess Peach and all the Faries on Wii U :)

CafeMom Tickers
Wish2Be
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Quoting TheBabyFactory4: My kids don't idolize other people

I am sure they idolize you :)

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN