Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Heroes: Are Our Kids Worshipping the Right Ones?

Posted by   + Show Post

We had celebrity role models when we were kids, so when we see kids doing the same thing, how concerned should we be about the people they choose to idolize?

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:38 AM
Replies (51-57):
LindaClement
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 4:14 PM

We never encouraged our kids to idolize anyone ... or anything. They were mild fans of entertainers, and sometimes impressed or inspired by athletes, but their role models were always real people, in their real life.

TheBabyFactory4
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah I'm pretty sure they do. I meant like celebrities

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting TheBabyFactory4: My kids don't idolize other people

I am sure they idolize you :)

graycalico
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 12:55 AM
Good point!

Quoting ceciliam:

I don't really believe in idolizing other people. I would rather teach my son to be true to himself, and not worry about basing his life and decisions off of someone he doesn't even know.

graycalico
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 12:55 AM
Good point!

Quoting ceciliam:

I don't really believe in idolizing other people. I would rather teach my son to be true to himself, and not worry about basing his life and decisions off of someone he doesn't even know.

TheJerseyGirl
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:10 AM

My kids may admire someone on TV for their looks,clothes, etc...but I wouldnt call them role models. They seem to admire people they know in real life.

AuntieMom126
by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 11:20 PM
Kids should not be worshipping any human beings. Should they be modeling great behavior, yes. If they have great parents, siblings, etc., then those are the right ones to model great behavior.
Lizzys_mommy13
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 3:12 PM

My kids right now aren't old enough to really know anything about celebrities or idolize them, but I am pretty worried. So many of these celebrities are into drugs, drinking and driving, making sex tapes and doing a lot of things that are pretty shameful in the public eye. It's hard enough to teach kids right and wrong without someone they look up to going out and doing things that I as a parent consider to not be ok. 
That said, there are some good celebs out there too. I hope my kids draw interest in the better ones as they get older.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN