Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Olympic Dreamers

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 32 Replies

There is snow falling and it is a chilly 15 degrees outside and despite the fact that we have a cozy couch and hot chocolate, my children keep pestering me to put help them with their boots and coats so they can go outside.

"Mama, please! I need to teach Evelyn how to luge!"

So, yes, I think it is safe to say that Olympic fever has hit our house.

(It is also safe to say that, given that Evelyn is only 22 months old, I will probably not be letting my son be in charge of her Olympic training as the luge+baby combination seems rather ill-advised.)

I unabashedly love the Olympics. I love the parade of athletes during the opening ceremony, with the tiny delegations from tropical islands rubbing shoulders with huge packs of athletes from cold weather countries, all of them giddy to be there.

I love becoming deeply invested, if even for just a little bit, in sports that I don't even really know the rules for, as I watch things like curling and biathlon and Nordic combined and suddenly find myself rooting and cheering long past my bedtime.

I love the tears and joy when athletes take the podium, having done the thing they've been dreaming about since they were kids. And I love watching my kids those dreams come true. They watch and then go scampering to the kitchen so they can slide around on socks or turn a cardboard box into a hockey goal and start to dream themselves.

I love ogling the thighs of the Dutch speed skaters.

(What? Not all of my reasons for loving the Olympics have to be profound, do they?)

I'll send the kids outside soon, bundled up and dreaming of Olympic glory, and we'll pretend our sled is a bobsled and that we are all Jamaican.

We're underdogs, but I like our chances.

What is your favorite part of the Olympics?

by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrswillie
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 7:04 AM
I don't have one. I haven't watched the Olympics in years. I don't know why I stopped because I used to love them as a teenager.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elasmimi
by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 8:00 AM

I love it when the gold medalists are listening to the national anthem and mouthing the words.

graycalico
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 8:54 AM
I don't have a favorite part yet. I love it all!
jen113000
by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 8:57 AM
Same here. Not sure why I stopped watching.

Quoting mrswillie: I don't have one. I haven't watched the Olympics in years. I don't know why I stopped because I used to love them as a teenager.
sukainah
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 2:15 PM

I love the snowboarding and have been watching it here and there, but not much.  I wanted my kids to see some of it and explain that it took a lot of hard work for them to be there to compete and that they never gave up.  

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 2:29 PM

This exactly.  I have no idea why I stopped watching them.

Quoting mrswillie: I don't have one. I haven't watched the Olympics in years. I don't know why I stopped because I used to love them as a teenager.

Kmakksmom
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 2:43 PM

The figure skating.  Usually the opening ceremony too.

Whereismymind
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 2:44 PM
I like the figure skating, skiing, and snow boarding.
krys1025
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 2:44 PM

I love the speed skating ang figure skating the best. I don't watch too much Winter Olympics. I like the Summer Olympics best.

aneela
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 3:03 PM

me too...so elegant!!!

Quoting Kmakksmom:

The figure skating.  Usually the opening ceremony too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)