Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

My sister is dating a sex offender...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 160 Replies
Level 3 (likely to repeat) for sexual conduct with an 11 year old girl.
I have a preteen niece. This scares me!

My sister told me it was a misunderstanding that happened over 10 years ago (so he would've been in his mid 20s).

What would you do?!?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 20, 2014 at 5:14 PM
15 moms liked this
Watch carefully? What can you do, protect your kids and keep an open dialogue with your niece, be aware of possible grooming that mom is blind to, don't let your guard down and pick up the phone if you suspect anything, better safe than a ruined childhood because of a selfish mom.
liveforever
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 5:16 PM
7 moms liked this

Did she explain the misunderstanding? Also, if it was a misunderstanding, why is he labeled likely to repeat?

I dont know, I wouldnt be comfortable with the situation. I cant think of many situations where someone in their mid 20s could be in a situation like that with an 11 year old and have it not be what it looks like.

I wouldnt want to risk the potential harm towards my dd.

Being on the registry for being drunk and peeing in public, or being 18 and the 15 yr old girlfriends parents pressed charges is one thing....crimes against children is totally different.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 20, 2014 at 5:23 PM
2 moms liked this
Can he legally be around children? I don't know about this stuff.
proudmommy690
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 5:30 PM
2 moms liked this
Wow. :/ I'd definitely be careful around him. It's gotta be more than a "misunderstanding" if he's "likely to repeat"
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2014 at 5:58 PM
It is very selfish!

Quoting Anonymous: Watch carefully? What can you do, protect your kids and keep an open dialogue with your niece, be aware of possible grooming that mom is blind to, don't let your guard down and pick up the phone if you suspect anything, better safe than a ruined childhood because of a selfish mom.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2014 at 6:01 PM
Supposedly he touched the girl's bottom (clothes on), felt bad, turned himself in... Right...

Some of my other friends (small town) remember him being physically arrested.

And I agree. I asked before I freaked because I know the guy, generally a nice guy. Figured maybe he was a stupid 18yo, but mid 20s, ugh!

Quoting liveforever:

Did she explain the misunderstanding? Also, if it was a misunderstanding, why is he labeled likely to repeat?

I dont know, I wouldnt be comfortable with the situation. I cant think of many situations where someone in their mid 20s could be in a situation like that with an 11 year old and have it not be what it looks like.

Being on the registry for being drunk and peeing in public, or being 18 and the 15 yr old girlfriends parents pressed charges is one thing....crimes against children is totally different.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2014 at 6:01 PM
Never alone.

Quoting Anonymous: Can he legally be around children? I don't know about this stuff.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2014 at 6:02 PM
Right?!?

Quoting proudmommy690: Wow. :/ I'd definitely be careful around him. It's gotta be more than a "misunderstanding" if he's "likely to repeat"
TheJerseyGirl
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 6:05 PM
3 moms liked this

That's more than a "misunderstanding." Your sister is out of her mind.

liveforever
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 6:46 PM
3 moms liked this

Thats not ok. What normal 20 something would do that? It sounds like theres more to the story that he isnt telling her.

If I were you I would keep an eye on my niece. Make sure she knows what is inappropriate and that she should ALWAYS tell if something ever happens. Let her know she can come to you and youll always listen. I hate that parents allow their children to be in these types of situations.

Quoting Anonymous: Supposedly he touched the girl's bottom (clothes on), felt bad, turned himself in... Right...

Some of my other friends (small town) remember him being physically arrested.

And I agree. I asked before I freaked because I know the guy, generally a nice guy. Figured maybe he was a stupid 18yo, but mid 20s, ugh!

Quoting liveforever:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)