Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How I (Kind of) Embarrass My Kid

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 55 Replies
1 mom liked this

So, I tend to dance about...even when there isn't music, I have a little shimmy going at times. It's fun, it perks me up. If there's music playing in a store, I get a little spring in my step and bop about. It's just what I've always done.

Kiddo has taken to doing this as well. Sometimes, Kiddo joins in with me, but other times, well, she doesn't like me doing it. It's definitely entered the phase of "Oh, Moooom!". She's not really embarrassed, per se, but it's that awareness that others may be looking at us while I groove to a Frank Sinatra tune in Starbucks.

I firmly believe I will not stop dancing. I may tone it down if she asks, but it is what I call a "Universal Rule," a rule that pertains to everyone in the universe (aliens included). There aren't many Universal Rules, but one of them is "If someone feels like dancing, no one else should tell them not to dance."

I like showing her my dancing in random places. I think it teaches her to be true to herself. I think it teaches her to not listen her inner critic. I think it teaches her to enjoy the little moments of this life. I think it teaches her to find those things that make us happy that aren't dependent on anything or anyone but ourselves.

So, yeah, I dance a little bit in the middle of the street if I have my iPod on. I do a little foot-tapping and head-bopping with her when we are shopping. And I am aware of when she wants me to tone it down, and I do, but I don't stop...so hopefully she won't ever stop either. 

Share what you do that might possibly, ever-so-slightly embarrass your kids!

©iStockphoto.com/ Marekuliasz 

by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 1:04 AM

I'm a comedian. I make jokes and throw out one-liners all the time. There was a time when my kids found that embarrassing.

They got over it. Nothing at all to do with me.

graycalico
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 1:19 AM
I love your lesson behind this
krys1025
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 1:40 AM
I too am a dancer lol. I just can't help it and me and dh together if old school songs come on in the store we'll busy a move and our kids continue walking as if they don't know us lol! You only live once, I don't care what people think of me.
chrissydan
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 6:18 AM
Nothing yet....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 6:56 AM
3 moms liked this
I sing. I can't sing, but I love to sing. I make up songs for all sorts of stuff. My 3.5 year old has started telling me to "please stop" when we are in public, lol! But he still wants me to sing him a (several) song before bed every night.
sarahjz
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:23 AM

""If someone feels like dancing, no one else should tell them not to dance."

I like showing her my dancing in random places. I think it teaches her to be true to herself. I think it teaches her to not listen her inner critic."

So true!  I am sure there will be plenty of things that will likely embarrass my kiddos.  I have no desire to keep up with status quo where materials things are concerned, this may bother them at some point.

jen113000
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:52 AM
I dance and act crazy at times. They've never said They were embarrassed yet lol
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Nice story!

othermom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Yes I have emberassed them before. I don't think we can make it through life with out emberassing them

MaineMammax2
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:43 AM
Hugging and kissing my oldest while saying " my baby my baby, getting so big, my baby!" She will squirm away saying "MOMMMM I am not a baby!!" And wipe her cheeks off.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN