Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Who's Your Favorite TV Mom?

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 104 Replies

It's no secret that I am kind of a TV geek. In my 41 years, I have logged quite a few, ahem, more than a normal amount of viewing hours. As a kid, I used to love reading the "TV Guide" and circling what shows I would watch each night.

To be honest, the amount of TV I watch has dramatically dipped since Kiddo was born, but there is no denying I still love my television shows. With all of these amazing moms on the Mad Life videos this week, it got me thinking about all of the different TV moms I've seen over the years -- moms on half-hour sitcoms, moms on hour-long dramas, all of the mamas on the small screen.

I definitely have a few favorites. Among them: Lorelei Gilmore on Gilmore Girls, Tami Taylor on Friday Night Lights, Claire Dunphy on Modern Family, and Kristina Braverman on Parenthood...that's a pretty good list, right?

Why are these TV moms some of my favorites? Well, all of them are pretty funny and use humor in dealing with the craziness that is Parenting with a capial P. They all love their kids unconditionally (of course). All of them had rules and had to lay down the law a bit, yet each found a good balance of being respectful of their kids as individuals and people at the same time they were disciplining them.

But I think the main thing that makes them my favorite TV moms is they are not "perfect" moms. They all, at some point, in some episode, screwed up and made a mama misstep (or many mama missteps). That is the type of mom I like watching and who I can relate to, because let's face it, we all are "not perfect" moms. We are moms who love their kiddos and who, when it comes down to it, are just trying their best.

Okay, tell me your favorite TV moms!

©iStockphoto.com/ David Kam 

by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cozie_Sisika458
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Love Laura graham in parenthood and Gilmore girls. I love Roseanne to.
graycalico
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 12:38 AM
Those are some of my favorites too. I'll always have a soft spot for Ma on little house on the prairie
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 4:12 AM
2 moms liked this
Marion Cunningham, not sure why exactly.... Maybe because when The Fonz would come for dinner she called him " Arthur. " anyway and he seemed to respect her for it.

No one disrespected her. All those teen boys and there was never a scene where she was spoken poorly to or about. Like they knew she could swing a belt or take em down if required. :-) I don't think it was the time frame depicted either..., or that she invited everyone to dinner , I think she was the mom all those boys felt the could trust and just... Wouldn't treat her with disrespect in person or speak poorly about her in public..... Proper raising of ALL of them .
chrissydan
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 5:15 AM
Roseann i love her no bs attitude
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this

The mom on home improvement. every time that show comes on i comment what a great mom she is

AlleyCat08
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this
The mom from Home Improvement and also in Malcolm in the Middle. I also liked the mom in Boy Meets World.
jen113000
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:39 AM
Love her in Gilmore girls! I still watch that show everyday lol even though I've seen all of the episodes.

Quoting Cozie_Sisika458: Love Laura graham in parenthood and Gilmore girls. I love Roseanne to.
elasmimi
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Yes, definitely!

Quoting brittany208:

The mom on home improvement. every time that show comes on i comment what a great mom she is

Cozie_Sisika458
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I would to but not on Netflix. Lol

Quoting jen113000: Love her in Gilmore girls! I still watch that show everyday lol even though I've seen all of the episodes.

Quoting Cozie_Sisika458: Love Laura graham in parenthood and Gilmore girls. I love Roseanne to.
KayLundy3
by New Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:53 AM
4 moms liked this
Clair Huxtable on The Cosby Show.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)