Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Do You Play With Your Kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

Parenting is a tough job. It is the most rewarding, yet most challenging thing we will ever do in our lives. But folks have been doing it -- being parents -- for, well, ever. (I'm thinking this hefty thought as I pick dried mac and cheese off of the table, if you must know.)

But, it's interesting, when I talk with my mom about what being a mom was like when I was a young kid or when I watch videos and listen to Joanie discuss her memories of raising her kids, one thing pops out at me: parenting, at its core, hasn't changed over the years. It was tough for them, too. However, what has changed are the situations we as Moms of Today encounter.

Here at Mad Life, we've tackled a lot of what makes parenting today rather Mad Life-y -- the hard juggles, the tough conversations, the elements of Life in today's world that makes doing our job to raise these little creatures a wee bit more difficult than eras gone by. On that list: the whole technology-Facebook-iPad-chatroom scene, the "speed" at which kids are growing up, the dual-career household dance...and we could go on and on, right?

One of the main things that my mom always talks about is this new idea of playing with your kids. She admits she never played with me. Sure, we read together, maybe played games as we were older, and snuggled on the couch, but she never plopped on the floor and played dolls...and nor did she feel the pressure to do that. I was asked by a parenting expert and mommy friend of mine, Rachel Cedar, to be a part of her examination of this "playing with our kids" phenomena. In February, she kicked off the 28 Days of Play blogger series (you can read my take on playing with Kiddo here).

What's is cool is, as you read all of these various essays by writer moms from every walk of life, almost all of us feel guilty or confused about playing with our kiddos -- whether we do it enough, how we feel when we say "no," if we are doing it "right," or even if we should be doing it at all. This? This is a new thing. Moms of past generations never felt this way. Who knows why this is a parenting issue now, but it's there, one of the many on my list that makes this impossibly hard job of being a mom even harder.

Another one? Play dates...I'll give you my take on that tomorrow.

Do you play with your kids? Do you like to play with your kids -- or do you feel guilty when they ask and you say "No"?

©Flickr.com/Chris Preen 

by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-49):
ZamilyMom
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:04 PM

I would play with mine often.  When I was busy with something, I could say no without the guilt, because I was able to say yes often enough, or even initiate playing with them myself.

Kaci
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:52 PM
Ditto!!!

Quoting Sisteract:

Mine are grown.

Kaci
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:53 PM
I love to play with my gd. She wears me out though. lol
momofthreenuts
by New Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:59 PM
Yes I do. I play guns trucks blo. Trying to learn my boys 4 and 3 to play hide and seek. Four yr old catching the hang three yr old not so much just yet... yes I do feel guilty when they want me to play and I'm busy doing g so etching like cooking or cleaning up.
Miranda1127
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:11 PM

of course, and yes I really do.

Charizma77
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:10 PM

I try to. I play with my 2 yo a lot, my 7 yo dd and I still have some good times playing together but I don't play with my 9 yo ds as much anymore.... We do hang out though together..

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 7:02 AM
Dh and I have always made it a point to play with them.
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Mar. 7, 2014 at 8:54 AM
I play dress up, have tea parties, play Legos, and other stuff with my dd. It's great to see her imagination take off.
kerryket
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 5:29 PM

I always played with the kids when they were small, we still play board games sometimes and video games once in a while.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)