Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Play Dates: Do You Do Them?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 50 Replies

The play date. It doesn't take a flip through Webster's to figure out that this is an organized time for two kids to play. But it does take a bit of head scratching and pondering to figure out why these have popped up as a mainstay of modern parenting life.

It may seem common to many of us moms (including yours truly), but talk to any mom from a few decades ago and they will flat out tell you the never used that word when their now-grown kids were tots. In fact, my mom is one of those who still finds it a bit odd when I talk of play dates for Kiddo.

Why have play dates become so commonplace? I'm not sure. I think, in my case, in NYC, it is a variety of logistical reasons: we live in apartment buildings, so we don't have the luxury of "go outside and play." No backyards or front yards or cul-de-sacs to head out to, which would then result in connecting with some neighbor kids. Instead, we head to the playground or the park...and probably give a ring to a buddy to meet up there. Almost all of my fellow mom friends are here sans family, so popping by to play with the cousins isn't an option. Again, that playtime with friends has to be arranged.

To add to all of those physical reasons, life just seems busier these days for everyone. All of us lament just how hectic our days are...which just leads to having to schedule playtime. Any fun-filled rendezvous have to be coordinated and put into everyone's iCal or Google calendars.

I know the play date Is a new parenting thing -- and one that not every mom I know digs. Why? Well, it means we have to "play," too, with the fellow play date mom. We moms have to be social and, just like in the rest of life, we may not "click" with everyone. Some days, the last thing we may want to do is chit-chat with anyone. Yup, play dates affect our social life. (The funny thing is, now, after all of these play dates, some of our good friends are the parents of Kiddo's buds!)

Do you organize play dates for your kids? Share your thoughts on play dates!

©iStockphoto.com/ eurobanks                   

by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
graycalico
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:24 AM
I'm not sure why but I hate the term play date. Lol. I have a friend that I get together with and do things with our kids. I'm sure I'll be doing more as time goes on. I suppose it would be helpful to find play dates with my son. He's special needs so it could be nice to find a few parents that speak that language
brittany208
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:48 AM

we used to all the time. havent much lately. its winter and everyone is sick.

elasmimi
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:50 AM

I do more now that she is 7 than I did when she was a toddler. There are no kids in our neighborhood, so I make sure to get her together with her friends from school as often as possible!

johnny4ever
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:43 AM

I still do and he is 10!

Mom2jngnc
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:54 AM

No, we may have friends over, but it is never prearranged. 

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:11 AM

I do not.  When they were little, we'd meet up with friends at the park, that's about it.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:34 AM

I do sometimes but they are kind of annoying to set up

liveforever
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:49 AM

I have never taken dd on a formal playdate.

When she was younger she just made friends with whoever was at the park and played with them...or she would play with my friends kids.

Shes almost 8 and just plays with her friends from school like I did growing up.

sarahjz
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Not very often, but sometimes.

Saucy1
by Kristina on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:24 AM

When my older kids were younger we went to a few. Now that they are in school we don't. I don't have any friends with 2 year olds, so my youngest hasn't been to any. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN