Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Privacy, Please?

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 49 Replies

I'm typing this very, very slowly.

I'm usually a pretty zippy typist but I currently have a 23 month old squirming in my lap, resting one hand on my face and trying to hit random keys with her other chubby little hand. I've tried to disengage her from my lap, to get a few minutes of empty lap time, but my efforts are rewarded with an indignant "No down! Ups! I want ups" from my sweet curly haired girl.

So, I type with one hand and remember the days when I used to have personal space. Ah, the good old days when I didn't regularly find other people's boogers on my shirts and regularly experienced the peace that comes with having the bathroom all to yourself when nature calls. There was even, I think, a time when I took baths by myself, not with a small child and 27 plastic floating toys.

I'm feeling keenly aware of the whole bathroom thing these days. We live in a home that is over 100 years old. The plus side to this is lots of charm and wood built-ins. The downside is that we have one bathroom, with no lock on the door, and so every morning I get to see everyone in the family as I shower and get ready for work. My husband wanders in to brush his teeth and flirt with me through the shower door. My son comes in for the potty and getting dressed for school (he likes to dress in the warm steamy bathroom), my daughter wanders in and out, handing me toys in the shower and then tries to climb in, fully dressed.

Sometimes I mind the morning parade and sometimes it is cozy to see everyone starting their day together. I know this phase won't last forever. I am aware of the fact that my son is getting older and the comfort level we have about privacy will be changing as he gets more modest.

All that being said, my next house will have two bathrooms. Mama wants to poop alone.

Do you ever wish you had more privacy and personal space?

by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Linds2Horse
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:09 AM
Enjoy it now. My child is only 7 and I miss those days. We still snuggle but it's different at then it is at 1 or 2.
timon95
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:12 AM

yes, if it's not the kids it's the dogs

graycalico
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:14 AM
I would love more. I rarely get a bathroom break alone. I'm tandem nursing too, so I get touched out sometimes.
mrswillie
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 7:50 AM
Now that our kids are older, I get enough.
brittany208
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 8:32 AM

heck yes.

elasmimi
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Glad you said this first. I thought I was the only one who had a dog following them to the potty, lol.

Quoting timon95:

yes, if it's not the kids it's the dogs

LeKendria
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 8:57 AM
Me too
jessicasmom1
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:09 AM

no I don't like personal space .. DD is now 14 I am just happy she's doing her own things now but I sure miss her.

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:25 AM
I actually love having my dd and the cats follow me around. It's a very short time in their lives. I get my privacy when I'm in bed.
Saucy1
I'm so close to throwing my computer out the window. It's driving me crazy!!!
Yesterday at 4:37 PM
by Kristina on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:36 AM
Yes, I have a clingy 2 year old. Once I leave a room someone is always looking for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)