Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Are You A "Good" Sports Wife?

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 51 Replies

It's 24-7, 365 days a year. There's always some sort of sporty-season happening on any given day, right? Football season, basketball season, hockey season, baseball season - it's a constant year-round smorgasbord of fun for the sports fan.

Here in our abode, the whole "sport fan life" isn't so bad. My husband likes watching sports of any kind. Football, tennis, golf, baseball, basketball, soccer, curling - he just loves a good game. He has a few fantasty football teams, but, over the years, with the arrival of Kiddo and just the busier aspects of life, well, Sunday football isn't as high of a priority anymore.

His main "sports fanatic" moments on the calendar? He loves to watch whenever his Chicago teams are on (White Sox for baseball, Bears for football, Bulls for basketball). But, perhaps, the most obsessed he gets is when watching his Syracuse Orange basketball team. Yeah, as we head into college basketball's biggie, the NCAA March Madness (it kicks off next week), it's one of the main times where he and the TV are both more-than-a-tad preoccupied.

I have to say, I'm a pretty good "sports wife." I don't mind watching. I follow along. I've been a part of football pools at my former job and even had a fantasy football team or two in the past. Granted, he's not as into it as some husbands I know, so, for that, I'm thankful. He often chuckles at the commentary I may give on the uniforms or hairstyles or the coaches' choice of ties. One thing he would change: he'd love it if Kiddo were more into watching with him. It's tough...she likes it, but it isn't a love of hers. So what do they do? He watches while playing Sorry! or creating a LEGO Eiffel Tower with her. 

How does watching sports in your home work -- do you like it? Does the whole family get involved or just your husband?

©iStockphoto.com/ MaksiMages                 

by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Linds2Horse
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 12:41 AM
My husband rarely watches sports. He prefers to play and gets bored just watching.
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Actually, only one out our four person household enjoys watching sports. That 's my almost four yr old son . DH keeps up enough to keep a conversation going with his coworkers or dad, my teen son REALLY has no interest in sports.... Now bring up science or Greek and Roman languages... Latin he's face to face with you for hours!

My four year old loves to watch football, LOVES to do gymnastic moves, talks about baseball ( although has never seen a game , just talk on cartoons)

He's gonna be the one who ruins our sleep in Saturdays due to pee wee football practice! :-)
graycalico
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 1:23 AM
1 mom liked this
My guy likes football. I don't mind when he watches. He works hard and deserves to have a thing he's unto. I like an occasional basketball game if our team is playing and I love the Olympics.
johnny4ever
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 7:53 AM

DH doesnt watch sports but I do!

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 8:05 AM
I'm lucky. None of us watch them!
mrswillie
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 8:05 AM
What do you watch?

Quoting johnny4ever:

DH doesnt watch sports but I do!

jen113000
by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:16 AM
We don't watch sports often in this house thankfully. It would drive me insane!
HotSouthernMess
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:20 AM
if DH wants to watch sports, he watches them. if I don't want to watch then I do something else. not a big deal in our house. he mostly watches football.
othermom
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:21 AM

My son is ore in to football than my husband, But we enjoy wathcing it together.

othermom
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Quoting HotSouthernMess: if DH wants to watch sports, he watches them. if I don't want to watch then I do something else. not a big deal in our house. he mostly watches football.

Same her. Sometimes I watch it, other times I do other things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)