Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

March Madness and Family = Winning Combo

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 47 Replies

Does anyone else have a little giddy feeling looking at the picture above? Yup, it's a bracket...similar ones will be filled in by (literally) millions next Monday in preparation for the NCAA Basketball Tournament aka March Madness.

According to Forbes.com, more than one-third of all Americans watch the tournament, spending close to $3 billion in filling out brackets in pools run online, in Vegas as well as just in offices all around the country. Entry fees to play run from $1 a bracket to thousands of dollars to enter. The odds of filling out a perfect bracket? 1 in 9.2 quintillion.

You may wonder why I'm giddy about this, but this bracket stuff is a big deal in our home - we all participate in a pool and fill out a bracket. I do, my husband does, both of my parents, both of his parents, Kiddo does, many of our friends and their kids fill them out -- and we all play against each other in a little tournament game. The cost? $5.

Why do we do this? For one, it makes watching the games that much more enjoyable. We have teams to root for in each match-up, we can see how all of the underdogs or "Cinderella teams" may do. It also provides some good context to talk about competition, a hard things for kids to master. We chat about winning and losing, the impact of what practicing does for those tough games, how to be a good winner and a good loser, the list of convo topics is endless, really.

Does your family get into March Madness? Does anyone fill out a bracket?

©iStockphoto.com/ Willard   

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Linds2Horse
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:26 AM
Not here. We aren't a basketball family.
elasmimi
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:54 AM

We don't watch any sports.

momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:56 AM

No.Not really into sports here

goddess99
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:48 AM

We aren't into sports.

PennOhioBabe
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Yes we enjoy it :)

sarahjz
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Yep, my husband does.  Lots of fun for him.  I just kinda follow along...no bracket filling out with me.

mrswillie
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:30 AM
I use to many years ago when I worked for a cable company.
TerriC
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:48 AM

My husband gets into one, it makes it fun to watch the games.  I used to do one at work every year, but haven't done one in a while.

la1118
by Laura on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:56 AM
I do one for fun that my brother invited me to do on Yahoo. Sometimes DH will get in an office pool. We don't root for any team in particular.
jessicasmom1
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:06 AM

I don't watch to many sports

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)