Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

March Madness and Family = Winning Combo

Posted by   + Show Post

Does anyone else have a little giddy feeling looking at the picture above? Yup, it's a bracket...similar ones will be filled in by (literally) millions next Monday in preparation for the NCAA Basketball Tournament aka March Madness.

According to Forbes.com, more than one-third of all Americans watch the tournament, spending close to $3 billion in filling out brackets in pools run online, in Vegas as well as just in offices all around the country. Entry fees to play run from $1 a bracket to thousands of dollars to enter. The odds of filling out a perfect bracket? 1 in 9.2 quintillion.

You may wonder why I'm giddy about this, but this bracket stuff is a big deal in our home - we all participate in a pool and fill out a bracket. I do, my husband does, both of my parents, both of his parents, Kiddo does, many of our friends and their kids fill them out -- and we all play against each other in a little tournament game. The cost? $5.

Why do we do this? For one, it makes watching the games that much more enjoyable. We have teams to root for in each match-up, we can see how all of the underdogs or "Cinderella teams" may do. It also provides some good context to talk about competition, a hard things for kids to master. We chat about winning and losing, the impact of what practicing does for those tough games, how to be a good winner and a good loser, the list of convo topics is endless, really.

Does your family get into March Madness? Does anyone fill out a bracket?

©iStockphoto.com/ Willard   

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-47):
jazi1105
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:47 PM
he said yes and yes. He does a bracket online.

...shows how much I know about my own husband lmao

Quoting jazi1105: Hubs likes basketball, and I seriously had to ask him these questions because I don't pay attention lol
kellynh
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:27 PM

I had no idea what this was about until I read replies

countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Same here.  DH watches more then I do and even he doesn't watch too much.

Quoting jessicasmom1:

I don't watch to many sports

Miranda1127
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:53 PM

no. we don't

copperswifey
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:56 PM

yes we do. I have one it once and came in 2nd. :)

Desirae1394
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:33 PM

See I prefer college to nba. 

Quoting Saucy1: No, we don't usually watch basketball. My kids all of a sudden have an interest for it. If we do watch, we the NBA.

Desirae1394
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this

They're awesome, aren't they?! 

Quoting sukainah:

We really don't get into this at all.  But we have been watching the Paralympics, which are amazing.  We are cheering for all of the players!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)