Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Mini's Progress Report: I Fail

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:29 PM
  • 55 Replies

Mini's progress report came home and I wanted to cry. She excels in math, which I already knew. It just comes easy for her. her parents are math nerds so it's in her blood :) 

She is reading above her grade level, but she is having an issue with details about feelings. She has a hard time discussing how a character is feeling about what is going on in the story. 

With her writing, she is having trouble expressing herself fully. She has a hard time describing things, like the way a character is feeling..

I totally feel like a failure right now. As I was reading the trimester summary, I just felt worse and worse. I should have been asking her more questions and working more on recreational writing prompts and books like we used to. 

My husband told me it is the teacher's fault, but I'm supposed to be reinforcing at home so I feel like it's my fault. I guess hindsight is 20/20 and I'm resolving to do more. 

Anyone else have progress reports sent home? 

by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Angelica.
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:35 PM

my son seems to have issues with that too.

Numom61507
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:13 AM

What grade is he in?

Quoting .Angelica.:

.Angelica.
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:14 AM

he's kindergarten.

Quoting Numom61507:

What grade is he in?

Quoting .Angelica.:

conweis
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Both my kids in school are failing big time. They might be retained.

kerryket
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:03 AM
Aww, don't feel bad, have fun with it and build those areas, sounds like she's doing very well! She'll be fine ;-)
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:32 AM
Don't feel bad. It gives you a place to start with Mini. I agree with your DH, partly. If expressing feelings and getting her thoughts into words was an issue the teacher could have let you know before the report. However, with so many kids she probably didn't have time to tell you. Just look at it as a way for you to work with her.
Firenygirl180
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:24 AM
I don't think i was ever good at talking about a characters feelings. I could tell you what happened and what characters were present, but that's it.

Just start working with her again and see what happens. You didn't fail because she is doing well in other areas and at least trying in this one.
othermom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Yeah we did recently and my kids are doing well. My daughter did bring home a math paper last week that she got most of them wrong. So I wrote out all the ones she missed and a few extras for her to do and went through them with her to make sure she under stood how to do them and made sure they got them all right. I really need to work with her on spelling and I do somethign similar when she spells stuff wrong

brittany208
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

that doesnt mean anyone is a failure! Just something for you to keep working on.

la1118
by Laura on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:02 PM

She sounds a bit like my 10yo DS.  He is very smart with excellent grades, but he struggles sometimes to write with enough detail.  If I ask him to expand on a thought or to describe something in more detail, he gets frustrated and says "it's hard to explain".  I know he understands the concepts but he doesn't know how to make other people understand in the way he understands. 

I wouldn't worry too much about it, sounds like she is doing okay.  Maybe talk with the teacher to get a better idea of what you can do to help you DD.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN