Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

New Use-Old Thing Listapalooza

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 72 Replies

In those videos, we saw Joanie, Chuck, and Andrew use items in a different way - a ketchup bottle for pancake batter, a straw for de-stemming strawberries, that water bottle to separate an egg. Pretty cool new uses for old things, eh?

You all have been chiming in this week with your fabulous lifehacks too. One that keeps popping up: new uses for over-the-door shoeholders. From an organizer for Barbies to a hold-all for cleaning supplies to a crafters must-have to corral various beads and rainbow loom bands, folks are using those plastic hanging devices for everything but shoes.

Want to know a few other regular household items people have "hacked" for other things? Take a look at this list:

Muffin Tin

--  A condiment tray. Plop in that ketchup, mayo, mustard, chopped onions, all sorts of condiment goodies in each compartment at your next a BBQ. Not only saves room on the buffet table, it also cuts down on dishwashing later.

-- Drawer organizer. When it's passed its prime, use it as a junk drawer organizer to hold toothpicks, paperclips, and rubber bands or out in the garage to separate screws and bolts and other hardware-y things.

Ice Cube Tray

-- Organizer for anything! Use those ice cube trays to sort all of those earrings and the necklaces that are usually jumbled in your dresser drawer. Separate buttons, doohickies, scrapbooking items, pom-poms, yes, all of your crafting supplies. Easily portable, these trays are perfecto.

-- Portable palette for Painting Day. Your kids love to finger-paint or explore their inner Monet every Saturday morning. Use ice cube trays to hold those various hues of red, green, blue, yellow and so on. Ideal for your little masterpiece creators.

Baby Food Jars

-- Spices. We buy spices in all sorts of varying jars and containers. It creates a cluttered mess. In that spice drawer, stow spices in a coordinated, same-shaped baby jars. Label the top of each jar with the spice inside.

-- DIY advent calendar. Attach the jars to a piece of plywood, maybe covered in festive material and decorate the lids with the numbers 1-25 to countdown til Christmas. You can stash the little treats and surprises for the kiddos in each jar.

Empty Paper Towel Holders

-- Artwork storage. Roll up those precious creations, and stow them in an archival box to keep the memories safe.

-- Cord keeper. As you try to contain all of those various snake-y cords by the computer, use the tube to keep them in some sort of order, especially to corral the extra long ones.

Share your best "new use for an old thing" lifehack!

©iStockphoto.com/EdwardSamuelCornwall 

by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Linds2Horse
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I use egg cartons to start seedlings. I use the plastic baby food containers to bring granola to work
elasmimi
by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 7:43 AM

I use the cute Melissa and Doug boxes that magnetic dress up dolls come in as jewelry boxes and makeup containers.

elasmimi
by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 7:44 AM

Also use the plastic catsup containers to put honey in, not nearly as messy as the jar it comes in!

Miranda1127
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Ohhh... I love re purposing.

Miranda1127
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this

My next project is going to be something similar to this (an old door repurposed as an entry way coat rack)

Miranda1127
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:23 AM

I use decorated tuna cans as tealight/small candel dishes

Miranda1127
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:24 AM

I use baby food jars to help me keep my junk drawer organized.

Miranda1127
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:25 AM

glass jars as vases.

Miranda1127
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:25 AM

I have a few old wine bottle drinking glasses.

Miranda1127
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:26 AM

glass jar candle holder.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN