Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

"Preachy" People

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 9:30 PM
  • 102 Replies
1 mom liked this

I love my Stepmom, but when she starts lecturing me, I just want to sock her in the mouth so she shuts up. 

I call her to remind her to call my Grandma. The conversation turns to my brother having a baby out of wedlock. Stepmom thinks brother and his gf should get married now. I told her there's no reason to rush things and he could end up miserable. 

Within seconds, she started laying into me about how my generation is going to hell. All we do is have sex and get STDs then spread them to other people. Marriage is apparently the answer, but we don't take marriage seriously. We get divorced like it's nothing (should I remind her that brother's gf is divorced? nah). She keeps rambling then I promptly remind her that marriage never stopped MY husband from sleeping with other women. She then launched into her "If you get divorced you're going to hell" and started describing hell. "There will be no light and you will be in total isolation." 

So hell is like being married? <- what I said in my head.

"You will be hearing things that will make you miserable."

Yeah kinda like this conversation. <- again in my head. 

So yet again, I'm getting lectured for stupid crap my siblings do. I reminded her to call Grandma then hung up. I didn't even feel bad for it. 

Are there are "preachy" people in your family? How do you deal with them?

by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:24 PM
2 moms liked this

I have a sil who is inclined to that kind of ranting. I can't usually remember what it's about, 'cause I play games on my phone while she's at it.

:D

xo.GypsySoul.xo
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:56 PM
No, thankful that no one cares about Heaven or Hell, or marriage etc in my family, or the need to lecture about how we're all goin to Hell....I'd wanna knock her lights out too. Lol
Mom2jngnc
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Ah yes, we all have one....... mine can be my MIL.

graycalico
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:13 PM
My mil never has anything nice to say. I hate being around negative complainers.
chrissydan
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:41 PM
My dh's mother and my aunt is like thst. Drives me crazy. I just want to scream. I nod and just go yep yep ok
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slw123
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this
My dad! Everyone is out to get you, to rip you off, etc.
la1118
by Laura on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:54 AM
My mom sometimes will go off on a political rant against the current administration. I know she also feels that our society's morals have declined since she was a kid but she usually isn't very confrontational about it. I wasn't technically married when our kids were born but she didn't give me a hard time.
MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh I hate people like that!

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:43 PM
Dh's brother and sister are super preachy to us, I think because they are his older siblings. What's funny is they are only 13 months and 3 years older then him but for some reason they think they must be so much wiser then him lol.
othermom
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Thankfully no, well my FIL can bug people a lot about stuff.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)