Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

To Capri Pant or Not to Capri Pant?

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 69 Replies

You pick up those magazines while waiting at the grocery checkout, flip through it and stumble upon the Fashion Dos and Don'ts page. You know the one, when they capture folks wearing an outfit or an item that is just not working for them. Usual culprits are those wearing too-short shorts or ill-fitting clothes or the dreaded mom jeans.

But one that intrigues me is the capri pant. Sometimes, it's a total Don't, while other times, it's a Do. I'm a tad confused by the Fashion Powers That Be on this subject. I mean, they are all over the stores, those cropped jeans, the ankle-length khakis...yet, many times, the capri pant, the pant that is longer than shorts but shorter than regular pants, is on the Don't list.

So I dug around a little bit on the ol' Google, did a little Googleuthing (that's Google + sleuthing) on this capri pant topic. The issue at hand, it seems, why sometimes they are a Do and sometimes they are a Don't is the length of the capri and where it hits the wearer on her leg.

According to the science of proportion, the capri pant has the tendency to shorten the leg. A longer pant lengthens it, while a capri can cut the leg at a place that isn't very flattering (hence the Don't element). It makes sense, but then, if someone wants to wear capris, how do we avoid a Don't moment?

-- Choose a capri that hits right above the ankle ala Audrey Hepburn and her classic go-to cigarette pants. If you are rolling those baggier boyfriend jeans for a casual, kick-around denim capri look, aim to have the length rock about an inch or two above your ankle.

-- Wear heels with them. Even a little kitten heel will elevate and elongate the look of your legs. 

-- Pair it with a longer blouse or a tunic. Again, it's all about proportion. To make a long, lean look, you need to pair a long with a short. Usually the pants are the long part but If your bottom item is the capri, that takes care of the short in this fashion equation. Choose a long top to balance it out and keep that elongation line going.

I don't really care what they say: I wear capris, usually hitting at my ankle. Do you wear capri pants? Where do they hit on your leg and what do you pair them with? 

©iStockphoto.com/travellinglight

by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmqw229
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I wear capris all the time!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikesmom65270
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I wear capris in warm weather because I do not wear shorts.  I'm really past the age for shorts and just prefer capris.  I mostly wear them at home and in the garden, shopping, etc., and not terribly worried about how long my legs look. 

lovinmyboys...
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:09 AM
I wear capris in the summer with flip flops. I am 5'2" and am too damn old to care how short they make me look. They are comfortable.
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:34 AM
I wear capris all summer. I don't wear shorts and I'm comfortable. I do wear a longer shirt tho.
michelle623
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:34 AM

I wear capris a lot during the Spring and Summer.

graycalico
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:12 AM
I like them to hit mid calf. For me it's more about the tightness. If they bell out they make me look weird, they have to be snug. It really depends on your body I think. And most of the time they're casual summer wear so I doubt you're going to care how tall you look.
Linds2Horse
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:45 AM
I wear capris to work all time in the summer. They hit my ankle and I wear slight heels so I guess I've been doing it right and didn't realize it.
wandep
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:37 AM

I wear them. 

SweetLuci
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:54 AM

I wear capri pants. I'm tall, but long waisted, so they usually hit me mid calf to a little above the ankle, and I wear them with sandals or flip flops that have a raised heel. They work for me. My sister says they look fine, and she's my fashion maven. She won't wear any that hit her mid calf. She has short pudgy legs and wears knee length Bermuda shorts or pants that hit her just above or at the ankle. When she told me that anything hitting her mid-calf made her look dumpy, I didn't believe it till we were shopping together, and I realized she was right. So it just depends on each person I think.

kerryket
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:15 AM
I wear them in the summer, more often than I wear shorts.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN