Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Its all about culture

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:48 PM
  • 19 Replies

Kate Middleton, Prince William Receive Traditional Maori Welcome in New Zealand: Pictures

Us Weekly
4 hours ago  
0 shares
Kate Middleton, Prince William Receive Traditional Maori Welcome in New Zealand: Pictures

View gallery

When in Wellington...! Kate Middleton and Prince William started their three-week royal tour of New Zealand and Australia with a traditional and very festive welcome from some of the locals.

After landing at Wellington Airport on Monday, April 7, the couple headed to their first official engagement at Government House in Wellington, New Zealand. There, they were greeted by the Kaumatua, or elder, for the Governor General's Office, who explained to them the significance of the Powhiri, or Maori welcome.

PHOTOS: Prince George's baby album

The Duke, 31, was then issued a Maori challenge called a wero, which involved the New Zealand Defence Force Maori Cultural Group advancing toward him with spears while performing various battle cries and gestures. At the end of the challenge, Prince William accepted the rakau tapu (spear) as a symbol of friendship. Middleton was later heard telling one of the warrior that she thought the greeting was "super."

PHOTOS: Kate Middleton's post-baby style

View gallery
Kate Middleton, Prince William Receive Traditional …

The royal couple then took part in a hongi, a traditional Maori greeting in which two people press their noses and foreheads together. Having done at least one before, the Duke went first, symbolically exchanging breath with the Governor General Sir Jerry Mateparae.

The Duchess, 32 -- chic as always in a red Catherine Walker coat and matching Gina Foster hat -- followed suit, performing a hongi with the Governor General's wife, Lady Janine. The ceremony concluded with a 21-gun salute and an inspection of the Guard of Honour.

PHOTOS: The Duke and Duchess as kids

The couple also met with the Kapa Haka Group from Rongotai College, and with a group of students from Clyde Quay School, Muritai School, Te Aro School, Tawhai School, and Petone Central School. Before leaving, they headed inside for a function with local mayors and government staff.

Prince George was not present for the Maori welcome, but he made his New Zealand debut earlier in the day, when he and his parents arrived at Wellington Airport.

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
conweis
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:48 PM

I really wanna see him from the front.

cemcnair
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:51 PM
LOL! Love that she's clearly looking him in the eyes and not wandering down below, lol!
conweis
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:53 PM

She had to concentrate hard LOL! I am sorry I would be in a giggling fit.

Quoting cemcnair: LOL! Love that she's clearly looking him in the eyes and not wandering down below, lol!

Firenygirl180
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:54 PM
Interesting. I bet they are used to things like that though.
conweis
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Prim and proper.

Quoting Firenygirl180: Interesting. I bet they are used to things like that though.

cemcnair
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:01 PM
Look at the guy photo bombing next to her! Lol!

Quoting conweis:

Quoting cemcnair: LOL! Love that she's clearly looking him in the eyes and not wandering down below, lol!

wandep
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:10 PM
I noticed the same thing. Lol

Quoting cemcnair: Look at the guy photo bombing next to her! Lol!

Quoting conweis:

conweis
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:15 PM

He is thinking.. "Yes I see that you like it!"

Quoting conweis:

cemcnair
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:24 PM
I think he's watching to see if she cracks, lol!!

Quoting conweis:

Quoting conweis:

conweis
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:30 PM

How would you respond?

Quoting cemcnair: I think he's watching to see if she cracks, lol!!
Quoting conweis:

Quoting conweis:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)