Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How Often Do You Say "I Love You"?

Posted by   + Show Post

The question at hand, ladies: how often do you say, "I love you" to your spouse?

When I ponder the whole saying "I love you" thing, I always think back to Star Wars.... well specifically, The Empire Strikes Back. Yes, a weird reference, but that's where the brain goes. Anyway, it's the part when Hans Solo is about to be cryogenically sealed up and taken to Jabba the Hut. Princess Leia is there, and she says, "I love you." Han looks at her...and do you remember what he says?

"I know."

Right, no "I love you" back! If I were Princess Leia, I would have been PEEVED. But, I still think Han was super awesome and the hunkiest, but that's another post topic.

We say it all of the time -- every time we talk on the phone, when we leave in the morning for work, before we go to bed. I know some couples don't say it as often. Others hardly at all. It's one of those things that I can't imagine not happening in a marriage. I don't necessarily think not saying "I love you" is a "marriage crime," but if a friend tells me she can't remember the last time she and her spouse exchanged those three words, yeah, I admit, it gives me a little pause.

But again, every relationship is different. I think I say it so much because my parents do, and they say it that often to me too. It transfers over: it is what my family did, the "normal" I am used to...but some families don't exchange the vocal love confession that often.

So, I wonder, how often is the average normal? Let's do a poll! How often do you say "I love you" to your spouse or significant other? All of the time (like every phone call, every night), at least once a day, or not even once a week?

How often do you say "I love you" to your spouse?

©iStockphoto.com/ maury75

by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-56):
Sisteract
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 1:51 AM

2xs a week?

Married 31 years- I think we're doing OK.

kellynh
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 7:27 AM

http://theartofsimple.net/the-simplicity-and-significance-of-saying-i-love-you/

http://voices.yahoo.com/the-importance-saying-love-you-6184826.html?cat=41

http://byhusbandsforhusbands.wordpress.com/2007/05/02/the-importance-of-saying-i-love-you/

Quoting Wish2Be:

Sorry but religious reasons dont phase me. The person who created that site gives you two reasons why the advice they are giving is worth listening too. First reason he is married for 25 years ( well I have been with DH for 14 and am probably half the age of the people who created this ). Second reason is because this person was a minster. 

Pass.

Quoting kellynh:

http://www.marriage-advice-for-a-better-marriage.com/love-relationship.html

Quoting Wish2Be:

Yeah well I think he is just used to have girlfriends in his pasted that would over use the word and it lost its zest after a while for him. Especially after those relationships went south. 

DH and I have been together for 14 years. We know how mch we love each other. We dont need words to prove it to one another or to make us feel better. 

I say if its not broken...dont fix it :)

Quoting cemcnair: That's silly IMO. I don't say it unless I mean it. If something ever happened to me, I'd want the last words I ever said to dh to be "I love you" We show it as well, but verbal affirmation is just as important.
Quoting Wish2Be:

My spouse thinks that if you say it too much it looses its value and meaning.....just the words not the actual feeling.

He might tell me once a year.

I tell him at least once a week.

kellysparkles
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 7:39 AM

At least twice a day; we say it when he's leaving for work and then again before bed, those two are guaranteed.  If we talk at all during the day we will then, too.

sukainah
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Ugh!  It's a real downer, isn't it?!

Quoting Wish2Be:

Mine is too !

Quoting sukainah:

I will say it to my husband and he just shrugs his shoulders. Hmmph!  If I try to show it in different ways....it's rejected or whatever it was, turning into him saying he didn't like it or whatever.....:-(  He's negative nelly LOL

Quoting RitaTequila531: I use to say it and show it equally but he thinks I'm being "mushy" :0/
Quoting sukainah:

That probably means more to him!

Quoting RitaTequila531: I show it more than I say it

.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:19 PM

every day.

Lizzys_mommy13
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Hahaha! I say it so often that he actually asked me the other day how many more times I was going to say it! LOL 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)