Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Exercises to Boost My Inner Voice

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 52 Replies

I admit...sometimes I don't listen to my gut. It's not a good habit, for sure, and it's one that I'm trying to work on. We have instincts for a reason. We have this inner voice that through the centuries have kept us, well, thriving as a species. But in this modern day, with so many things going on in this Mad Life (yup, they knew what they were doing when they named this hub), our gut gets pushed to the corner and muffled. The task at hand is to unmuffle that inner voice. According to the gurus, we can learn to listen to our intuition more often. It takes practice, they say. So, not only am I doing tricep extensions for that underarm flab, I'm trying these exercises to work on trusting my gut.

-- I'm slowing down. They tell me that paying attention to my breathing and taking a five-minute break to do nothing is the first and foremost way to clear the mental clutter and make way for my inner voice to reach me.

-- I'm starting a journal. Even if I don't have much to say (or I've already said it all here on CafeMom), writing down thoughts at the end of the day or in the morning is key to tapping into some inner feelings I may not giving enough attention to...so I'm breaking out a little pad of paper and jotting down, well, anything that pops into my head.

-- I'm paying more attention. Supposedly if I'm listening to my iPhone when I walk or checking texts while also doing the dishes, I'm not paying enough attention to each moment....and therefore clouding when my gut can reach me. One task at a time is my new motto (well, I'm trying to make it that anyway).

-- I'm more open and positive. Kids are great intuitive creatures. They haven't learned to shove that inner voice to the backroom yet. So, I'm heading advice to approach my days more like a kid, to ask more questions, to wonder, to be open and positive...which the gurus say is key to letting that inner voice sing loud and clear.

Have you ever lost your inner voice? How do you work on getting it back?

©iStockphoto.com/ Marekuliasz

by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
celestegood
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 5:34 AM
No, I usually do go with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Cool.

la1118
by Laura on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:02 AM
I think I have too many voices in my head, lol. My brain definitely feels cluttered lately and I need to just make time to do one thing, and only one thing, so I can relax and refocus.
goddess99
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I haven't, I've always listened to my gut.

Saucy1
by Kristina on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:57 AM

I've always listened to my gut. 

RobynS
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 10:31 AM

I know how valuable a journal can be--and I used to write a lot (my degree is in written communications--so I SHOULD be writing!!!). But for the last several years I just can't seem to make myself do it. :/

arpazia
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 11:01 AM
It can be hard to focus on it, everything can get in the way
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 12:20 PM

I've never really thought too deeply about this, to be honest.

kerryket
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 1:27 PM

I don't think I've ever lost it, but I like the tips everyone could benefit from slowing down, journaling, paying more attention and being more open and positive. Oh, and I'm just a big kid naturally, lol!

letstalk747
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 3:14 PM

i usually go with it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN