Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

It's My Mommaversary!

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 47 Replies

Life isn't fair.

Don't make me pull this car over!

When I was your age...

If your friends all jumped off a cliff, would you?

Yes, those are Momisms. Those things we moms say generation after generation, those sayings all moms seem to utter at least once, if not countless times.  It's funny that this week we are talking about Momisms because, seven years ago today, I became a mom. Seven years ago, I got my "Welcome to the Mom Club" badge and a pamphlet of "Tried and True Momisms"...okay, not really, but it felt like that.

Yes, today is my daughter's birthday. For some reason, whenever I think about becoming a mom, sure, I think about my mom and my grandmother and all of that, but I also think of Erma Bombeck, the fabulous author who tackled writing about parenthood and being a mom way before anyone else did. Like so many of the writers here on CafeMom and The Stir, she wrote her essays and books with wit, poignancy and, most of all, honesty. Not that she used to say Momisms all of the time, but there's just something so universal in her writing, just like those sayings the Mad Life crew will tackle this week.

In honor of my Mommaversary (the anniversary of me becoming a mom), here are some of my all time favorite "Bombeck-isms":

"Worry is like a rocking chair: it gives you something to do but never gets you anywhere."

"There's nothing sadder in this world than to awake Christmas morning and not be a child."

"When your mother asks, "Do you want a piece of advice?" it's a mere formality. It doesn't matter if you answer yes or no. You're going to get it anyway."

"All of us have moments in out lives that test our courage. Taking children into a house with a white carpet is one of them. "

"Laughter rises out of tragedy when you need it the most, and rewards you for your courage."

"Have you any idea how many children it takes to turn off one light in the kitchen Three. It takes one to say, "What light?" and two more to say, "I didn't turn it on!"."

"No one ever died from sleeping in an unmade bed." 

"A child needs your love most when he deserves it least."

"Don't confuse fame with success. Madonna is one; Helen Keller is the other."

"It goes without saying that you should never have more children than you have car windows."

"Insanity is hereditary. You can catch it from your kids."

Which of these "Bombeck-isms" rings the most true to you - or made you laugh the loudest?

©iStockphoto.com/David_Kam_Photography

by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 12:21 AM

'' no one ever died from sleeping  a unmade bed ''

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Apr. 29, 2014 at 7:15 AM
I love them all but the insanity is hereditary. You can catch it from your kids. Is my favorite.
kerryket
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 7:36 AM
I loved and read Erma Bombeck before I had kids, damn I was still a kid myself!
mrswillie
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 8:19 AM
I can't sleep in an unmade bed but I don't make my kids make theirs.
EmptyNestMama
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 9:07 AM

LMBO! So true! 

"Have you any idea how many children it takes to turn off one light in the kitchen Three. It takes one to say, "What light?" and two more to say, "I didn't turn it on!"."

cemcnair
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this
My mom has that on a shirt, lol! One of my faves :)

Quoting mamamedic69: I love them all but the insanity is hereditary. You can catch it from your kids. Is my favorite.
othermom
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 9:32 AM

I love the insanity is hereditary you catch it from your kids

DNewman
by New Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 9:37 AM

"No one ever died from sleeping in an unmade bed."  Lol, so true! 

othermom
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Quoting mrswillie: I can't sleep in an unmade bed but I don't make my kids make theirs.

I can't either. The kids just have to have their blankets on them

LancesMom
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Happy Birthday to your daughter!

I think your first ones rang more true to me than any others...

Life isn't fair.

Don't make me pull this car over!

When I was your age...

If your friends all jumped off a cliff, would you?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)