Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

My New Momism Trick

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 48 Replies

Two seconds.

Those are the pair of words I say the most often. I probably say them twenty times a day...or more. As a response to "Mom, can you come see my picture?" while I'm elbow deep in the dishes. Or after "Gimme" as a retort to "Mooom, where are my scissors?" Or slotted behind "I need" when the call "Moooooooom, are you ready yet?" comes sliding under the bathroom door.

Two seconds.

For a while, when Kiddo was younger, it was an easy one to use to give me time. She knew that after I said it, she'd have to wait. Fast-forward to her now-seven-year-old self. She's not as amenable to the vagueness in the way I use two seconds. Recently, she's begun counting, "One....two..." and announcing that my time is up. Which, of course, she's right.

What does a mom do when her usual Momism go-to no longer works on her kiddo? The mom has a few options. First, change up the Momism. "Gimme five minutes" could be used, though negotiations could ensue to have a shorter amount of time, which defeats the purpose. Second, she could inform the child that it is two seconds in a "loose" sense, which could lead to the child then picking up a habit of being "loose" with statements or time management skills...a slippery slope to unforeseen ramifications.

Or third, she switches to another Momism all together. Which is what I've been attempting to do. But I didn't know which one to switch to...so I got a Magic Eight Ball and gave it to her.  When she calls, "Mommmmmm, can you come here to see the kitty wedding?" while I am in the middle of writing a post, I ask her to check the Magic Eight Ball. "My sources say No" and "Reply is hazy, try again later" seem to pop up a lot.

What are your go-to Momisms? Which do you find saying most often?

©iStockphoto.com/ maeroris

by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:39 AM

1-2-3-

i want a 8 ball again its been awhile

celestegood
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 6:33 AM
In a minute! I can't do it all, people! Geesh!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:41 AM

I usually say "one minute" and "space!" a lot

liveforever
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:46 AM

Im queen of give me a minute. Dd can tell time now so shes quick to tell me when an exact minute is up. Its been switching to a more broad hang on.

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:01 AM
If more than one kid wants something at the same time my go to phrase is "I'm one person so someone is going to have to wait."
mrswillie
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:04 AM
Give me a second
wandep
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Just give me a minute.

sarahjz
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:14 AM

I love the magic 8 ball idea.  Think I need to get one of those.

la1118
by Laura on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Just one second... (my kids bust me on that one all the time)

Or

I'll be there in just a minute

Or

Can't Dada help you? I don't think he's busy. :-P
cemcnair
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Lol! That's a good one!
I say "just a moment"
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)